Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
What do you make hills out of?
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Miniatures and painting
Auteur Message
DarkBlack
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Mer Avr 22, 2020 3:06 pm    Sujet du message: What do you make hills out of? Répondre en citant
Also how do you make them?

For 6mm and/or 15mm.

I've decided that I want a set of nice looking ancients terrain, do something better than felt with contours drawn on.
Not sure what to use though.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
babyshark
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Jeu Avr 23, 2020 5:24 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I like to use layers of felt glued in a stack to make contours. I know there are folks who disparage felt terrain, but it has some significant advantages. The two most important are that the figures won't fall off and so it is easy to know where each base is located. The second, perhaps more important advantage, is that that felt is easy to travel with and thus bring to tournaments.

That said, there are players who have made some amazing looking hills out of styrofoam.

Marc
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Avr 23, 2020 11:24 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
So if you don't like commercial
https://battlefieldterrain.com/collections/hills-a-collection-of-large-and-small-resin-hills

then you can buy some poster board (of that thicker display board that is light weight plastic.)

Cut to shape. Put a smaller shape as contour glued on top. Now it looks like a super ugly felt. But

Then you buy liquitex (most arts and crafts shops carry) modelling paste. I prefer the sand resin. You mix in your acyrillc base color (pick lighter than you think) so raw umber or light green. You then spread it on top of the contour shape. like you are spreading a pie topping. (do not eat).

Let dry.

Then I do a light color dry brush and add flocking. If I am going to flock the whole thing I don't dry brush. I do use a base color because the flocking sticks better and any wear doesn't change look.

Babyshark and his ratty felt well that reflects on his gaming attire as well. Don't do that. Smile
Black Prince
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Ven Avr 24, 2020 2:13 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I use Miniature World Maker’s terrain it is very good and easy to pack comes in lots of different sizes and colours. There are some places in the UK that distribute his stuff if you do not want wait for shipping from Aust.

https://miniatureworldmaker.com.au/
DarkBlack
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Sam Avr 25, 2020 2:23 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thank you!

Will have to find out if I can even get hobby supplies at the moment? Shocked
Three
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Dim Avr 26, 2020 10:16 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I've tried most options over the years, and in my opinion the best 3D ones are made by S&A Scenics, flock isn't too bright and figures tend to stay in place.
However, I've moved over to printed 2D ones, for ease of transport and resilience. I've got hills and other terrain features in mouse mat style from Deep Cut Studios; Gamemat.eu; Greenstuffworld and Wargamer's Whims. They all look great, and are of different sizes, so I place the one in the size I want for that particular game. The gamemat.eu are definitely the smallest, and I use their pieces are a 2nd contour to show steep hills and/or as a covering. Wargamer's whims hills already have a 2nd contour.

They all eliminate figure slide, and so far (3-5 years worth of use at least once a week and associated flat storage) there hasn't been any curling of edges.
highlandbevan
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Sam Avr 03, 2021 2:33 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I cut the base out of 3mm hardboard.

Glue a sheet of expanded polystyrene to the top and hack with a saw to shape.

Cover in mix of water and PVA glue, 2 layers, allow to dry between.

Coat in paint, then drybrush and flock.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Miniatures and painting
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: