Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Ideas for improving basing
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Miniatures and painting
Auteur Message
KevinD
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mar Oct 05, 2021 9:42 pm    Sujet du message: Ideas for improving basing Répondre en citant
I’m in the early stages of painting up a new army and am interested in ideas to improve the aesthetic appeal of my basing.

Generally I find that a well done basing scheme can really make an otherwise ok to good looking army really pop.

My current system for temperate or tropical armies is (green) flocking on green paint, sometimes with rocks, grassy plants or bushes added. For desert or arid armies it’s usually (rocky) flocking on tan paint. In the past for arid armies I’ve also used built up layers of a commercial product containing tan paint mixed with sand for desert armies but getting something I can match to this is a serious drawback when rebasing those armies’ infantry for ADLG (or whatever might come next).

What sort of basing schemes have you seen that represent an improvement over the paint (or pva), flocking and some grass/bushes? Hopefully it would not be too challenging or represent a massive increase in the time needed to base an army but would add to the army’s aesthetic appeal.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Black Prince
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Mar Oct 05, 2021 10:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I have have started using these, first I use the textured paint, the wash, then dry brush. Finally stick on some static grass tufts.

https://citadelcolour.com/videos/technical-paints/
KevinD
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 31, 2021 1:16 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Black Prince a écrit:
I have have started using these, first I use the textured paint, the wash, then dry brush. Finally stick on some static grass tufts.

https://citadelcolour.com/videos/technical-paints/

Thank you.

For people using Golden modeling paste to build up their bases, do you prefer the “regular†version, or the “light†version?
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 31, 2021 9:30 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I use an earthy coloured wood filler.  I then immediately add static grass whilst the filler is still wet.  I then add other material and spray varnish.

So a lazy approach avoiding two stages; application of both a base colour and glue

https://www.ronseal.com/products/high-performance-wood-filler/. This shows natural and dark brown as available.  I have also seen mahogany.  

I did consider letting the filler set and adding other colouring, washes and highlights before adding glue and the static grass, but did not think it worth the extra work.  Especially as I like all armies on consistent bases for morphing between them.
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Jeu Fév 24, 2022 12:12 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Two quick and simple methods of texturing bases.

First very very simple:

Take some builders sand (the kind with gravel in it) and pass it through a sieve or colander to remove the chunkier bits of gravel. Mix in some static grass. dilute some EvoStik wood glue with water (about 30% water and 70% glue) slop it onto the base around the figures/models then dump the mixture on it -

Next a bit more complicated. Get some Javis "dark earth scatter", prepare the base as above, but leave patches for static grass, tip the scatter on the base. Leave to dry then brush over with very dilute EvoStik wood glue (at least 80% water) to fix it. Dry brush with white paint. Use diluted wood glue to stick static grass in the bare patches. Add "snow" terrain effect stuff to add variety -

Dernière édition par daveallen le Jeu Fév 24, 2022 9:58 am; édité 2 fois
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Jeu Fév 24, 2022 9:27 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Here's a few of my recipes:
The biggest visual difference is the variation in height between the fine foam/short static grass & the different sized tufts. I'm always surprised at the difference it makes. Finally, I'm a big fan of black edged bases (see ACW recipe) but as I don't often use MDF bases it's not an option for me most of the time.

Can't post pictures of all of them as the forum software is out of date and doesn't support the new Google image format. Sad

Hope that helps?
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Mar 15, 2022 9:17 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
KevinD a écrit:

For people using Golden modeling paste to build up their bases, do you prefer the “regular†version, or the “light†version?

I prefer the textures Golden and liqutex. Mix with a raw sienna. Dry brush titanium and add spot flocking. I used to custom mix but had the matching problem you worry about.

Every time I based I find the lighter the base color the better the figures look

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Miniatures and painting
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: