Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Dunes on hills
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Sam Juil 27, 2019 10:28 pm    Sujet du message: Dunes on hills Répondre en citant
So, today's game was an invasion of Araby. My opponent, not unreasonably, wanted to pick lots of sand dunes.

Page 64 "Gentle or Steep hills"

"A gentle hill... can count as rough terrain if it is covered with fields, brush or a plantation or as difficult terrain if covered with woods."

So can gentle hills be covered by dunes? Is this list limiting or just examples? Consider that villages are not in the list but page 65 says they may be on hills as well.

I let him do it but thought I'd ask.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Dim Juil 28, 2019 12:14 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
As written, gentle hill coverings appear to be constrained to the items listed - so no dunes on a strict reading.

But I congratulate you on allowing your Arab defender opponent to cover his gentle hills with dunes. Many of us have seen the gentle hill/dunes in Lawrence of Arabia and I've recently enjoyed aerial views of the geography in UAE. Lots of things looked like sand-covered gentle hills to me!

I think you applied (the much fabled) "common sense" in a situation where the RAW are probably inadvertently wanting, in the interests of sensible game play and sportsmanship. Congratulations to you, sir! Very Happy
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Juil 28, 2019 12:27 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I would also say it is permitted.

The terrain effectively becomes the equivalent of a steep hill (even if it was originally gentle) being “difficult†to all troops except LI. 
I am thinking it represents the steeper escarpments etc. 
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Dim Juil 28, 2019 2:25 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thank you to Zoltan and Ramses. I thought it was reasonable and just represented a larger dune. Some of them can be pretty big after all.

However could one then not also combine a marsh and a hill?

How about a gully?

If you make the combined gully exactly the same size as the hill do they just then cancel themselves out? (Okay, now I am just being silly.... )

The rules cannot cover everything.
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Dim Juil 28, 2019 3:26 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
SteveR a écrit:
However could one then not also combine a marsh and a hill?

How about a gully?

I think the idea of combining other terrain with a gentle hill is to represent geography one might see in real life. Personally, I've never seen a marsh on top of a hill - at the bottom of a hill, yes (but then that's next to the hill). Similarly, I've never seen a gully on top of a hill either. So yes, you are perhaps being slightly silly! Wink
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Juil 28, 2019 9:32 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hmm
A small gully on a larger hill would be a really neat way of representing an Iron Age hill fort . . . 

(though you would have to agree who is ‘higher’ when fighting on the edge of the gully). 
Wink
fdunadan
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Juil 30, 2019 7:59 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Well, I totally disagree, the hills can ONLY have the cover listed. Villages are not covering hills, they're placed on top of the hill and that's an unique exception.

You can't cover your hill with marsh, river, or other terrain than previously listed.
So, no dune on hill, even if it seems realistic. By the way, dunes are sandy hills already, counting as difficult terrain for movement and melee.
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Juil 30, 2019 8:13 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Citation:
By the way, dunes are sandy hills already

No they're not. They don't block visibility the way a hill does.
kevinj
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mar Juil 30, 2019 8:28 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I think Fdunadan is correct here, the rules are explicit about what can cover a hill.
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Juil 30, 2019 10:52 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
kevinj a écrit:
I think Fdunadan is correct here, the rules are explicit about what can cover a hill.

That woudl certainly be the way I'd rule it at an event I was running.

As always, most wargames rules say what you can do, not what you can't.

(however for a friendly game, both players agreeing that theres a massive dune thats a bit hilly is of course fine... "in the privacy of your own home" and all that ! )
ALEXANDER
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Jeu Déc 30, 2021 2:22 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Dunes on a hill would allow an ambush with camels behind the crestline.
ALEXANDER
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Jeu Déc 30, 2021 4:34 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I guess its makes no big difference to put brush on the hills.

This brush choice even does no reduce camels movement.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: