Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Wheeling to avoid full movement / difficult manoeuvres
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
ALEXANDER
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Lun Jan 10, 2022 3:06 pm    Sujet du message: Wheeling to avoid full movement / difficult manoeuvres Répondre en citant
Impetuous units that move less that their full movement allowance have to spend an additional CP for difficult manoeuvre.
A advance of full movement allowance, with a wheel and /or slide is still an easy movement.

Example

A line of 6 HC impetuous are 5 UD away from 6 enemy MC bow
The HC cannot yet attack the MC but does not want to move to 2 UD neither.
(to avoid 2 turns of enemy shooting or just to delay the advance)

Is it allowed that the group of 6 HC first wheels 2 UD to the right
and then wheels 2 UD to the left again?

Its almost like the just move forward 2 UD (as a easy manoeuvre)
Is this legal move or a prohibited abuse of the rules?

..or is just one single wheel to one side allowed?
Is there a minimum that the HC has to move straight forward?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Lun Jan 10, 2022 4:20 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
You have put your finger on a slight silliness of the rules.

Yes, this is permitted. Page 31 says that any troops, impetuous are not excepted, may do multiple wheels as long as they do not total more than 90 degrees. (45 if Wwg)

So we are confronted with the situation where it is easier to wheel a long line of impetuous troops multiple times than it is to restrain their ardor.

And the longer the line the more effective the tactic is in using up excessive movement.

Is it illogical? Perhaps. But there are other examples in the rules - such as it is easier to disengage from combat and move away from an enemy through their ZOC than it is to just move away from an enemy's ZOC.

Consider it a game mechanic. Overall it works. And I suspect any cure, only allowing the impetuous person to do it if their intentions are pure and not designed to slow themselves down, would be impossible to enforce.

I've wondered if it might be better the other way - impetuous wheels cost 2CP and stopping short only 1 CP but have not thought it all the way through and that would probably break something else.
ALEXANDER
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 11, 2022 11:34 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ok. I agree with your explanation.
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Mer Jan 12, 2022 6:49 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
ALEXANDER a écrit:
Ok. I agree with your explanation.

I assume this is a play balance thing.

In practice wheeling is far more difficult than moving short.
Black Prince
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Dim Jan 16, 2022 8:02 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Page 34 says an advance of the maximum movement allowance with a wheel or a slide is an easy move. The term "a wheel" is singular, it does not say you can not make more than one wheel but it is not an easy move so it will cost 2 CP, I still think it is a very cheesey manoeuvre but it is 1 CP cheaper for impetuous troops wanting to make a short move when near the enemy.
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Dim Jan 16, 2022 6:07 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Black Prince a écrit:
Page 34 says an advance of the maximum movement allowance with a wheel or a slide is an easy move. The term "a wheel" is singular, it does not say you can not make more than one wheel but it is not an easy move so it will cost 2 CP, I still think it is a very cheesey manoeuvre but it is 1 CP cheaper for impetuous troops wanting to make a short move when near the enemy.

The absence of the plural is a pretty thin reed on which to base your conclusion. It nowhere says multiple wheels count as a difficult move (though you are restricted to the sum of the wheels being >=90 degrees).

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: