Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Shifting Units
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 31, 2023 11:58 pm    Sujet du message: Shifting Units Répondre en citant
So I had a situation come up today which caused me to wonder about a rule.

I had a unit which which needed to be shifted to allow a friendly unit to conform into combat.

Page 52 specifies that this is done "the minimum distance necessary in priority to the rear then to the flank"

In this case the unit being shifted would only have to slide sideways about 1/4 of a UD to make room.

The shift to the rear would be almost a full UD (it was medium foot)

So does the "priority" in the sentence quoted take precedence over the smaller distance requirement? And the shift must be to the rear?

I suspect this is crystal clear in the original French.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 01, 2023 12:51 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Well the alternative is that flank or rear is a tie-breaker if both are the same distance, so it seems pretty unlikely.
Longtooth
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 01, 2023 11:46 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Neep is correct. Individual stands are to be shifted as little as possible. The text concerning side/rear only applies in the case of a tie breaker.

Jesse
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 01, 2023 1:34 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Jesse, thank you for vindicating me.

You say that Neep is correct, but then contradict him Smile

I see most players shift stands as little possible as the primary means of adjustment, but the English text (at least) seems to call for the direction to be the one to use first.
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 01, 2023 4:02 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
SteveR a écrit:
I see most players shift stands as little possible as the primary means of adjustment, but the English text (at least) seems to call for the direction to be the one to use first.

I read the English text differently. Units are shifted the minimum necessary (1st clause) in priority to the rear and then to the flank (2nd clause). So shortest distance first, to the rear if the same distance.
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 01, 2023 4:16 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
LOL. When I reread my post I realized I left an ambiguous antecedent but thought it wouldn't cause trouble. In a fluid situation, I don't think you can reliably decide that there's 11m behind and 10.5mm to the side.
Rereading the rule, I believe it's quite in keeping with both the letter and the spirit to move back to an obstacle, slide clear to the flank, then move back again. You have to minimize the number of shifted units, too, so I think you just work it out with your opponent.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Fév 02, 2023 12:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:
SteveR a écrit:

I read the English text differently. Units are shifted the minimum necessary (1st clause) in priority to the rear and then to the flank (2nd clause). So shortest distance first, to the rear if the same distance.

Curiously, it's the same in french....
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Fév 02, 2023 5:42 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
lionelrus a écrit:

Curiously, it's the same in french....

What is the French words for "Vive la difference?"
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Jeu Fév 02, 2023 6:52 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
"Different strokes for different folks"

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: