Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Are concave terrain features legitimate?
Page 2 sur 2 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 31, 2023 10:45 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I think a finger extruding would be too much.
A kidney shape fine.
A commercially purchased. More likely to be fine.

indents like this, OK
https://www.miniatureworldmaker.com.au/images/products/medium/FGOG06.jpg

Assuming the below complied 2x3
The lower right here probably is too far
https://litko.net/collections/terrain-trays/products/terrain-bases-set-4-4
Upper right fine
Upper and Lower left are getting hinky.

https://litko.net/collections/terrain-trays/products/terrain-bases-set-6-3
again assuming you made these legal 2x3 somewhere these bizarre nearly phallic options would be too far.

https://litko.net/collections/movement-gauges-rulers/products/40mm-linear-gauge
this too would be excessive.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 01, 2023 1:50 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Dan, you should be on the US Supreme Court - you have channeled Potter Stewart admirably.

"I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description, and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it"

As I see it this is a non-problem.

I don't find players bringing clever designer terrain in ADLG because, unilke DBX, the adjustment mechanism removes enough certainty of the placement to make it not worthwhile.

Kevin's original case might be seen as having a slightly abusive effect but the advantage is minimal, and despite his concerns there have been a lot of games played without it becoming common.

I see the opposite happening. Terrain is rarely "irregular" in shape as required by page 70.

I play against rectangular square hills with minimal rounding and woods with linear sides. That way they match the linar coastines and canal straight rivers that we all use.

Because the game plays better that way.

When I started in ADLG my terrain was irregular in shape. And I had difficulty seeing how a unit could be "just on the edge" of an irregular piece. Surely some of the front edge must be outside or some must be back away from the edge.

For what it is worth in my opinion all the litko pieces you show are legal - no matter how bizarre the phallus is. They meet the criteria of the rules and look like an actual woods. It they turn out to be a bad place to put an elephant because dumbo will take a long time to walk out so be it.

So for now I suggest we do nothing and see what happens
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 01, 2023 3:02 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
SteveR a écrit:
Dan, you should be on the US Supreme Court - you have channeled Potter Stewart admirably.

"I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description, and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it"

As I see it this is a non-problem.

So for now I suggest we do nothing and see what happens

Thank you for the concurring opinion. We are in agreement.
DarkBlack
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 01, 2023 3:06 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
KevinD a écrit:
I’d like some guidance about where to draw the line.

Just don't try to get a advantage out of how your terrain is shaped.
Make the question moot.
If you innocently made a bit of terrain that gives an advantage then stop using it. If your opponent did then let them know.

If you feel you need to ask the answer is probably "no and stop it".
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 01, 2023 4:22 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
As was once said, "If you are not trying to gain an advantage, why are you on the pitch?"
I think "lining the edge" is permission to nominally allow shooting for units that aren't physically lining the edge.

Just speculating a bit - maybe there should be a 1CP action to line a feature from a group in line, or vice versa.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 2 sur 2 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: