Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Is a player required to deploy fortifications/obstacles?
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Dim Mar 19, 2023 8:53 pm    Sujet du message: Is a player required to deploy fortifications/obstacles? Répondre en citant
I have a list with a point left over. So as not to waste it, I bought a single fortification.

However deploying it could allow an opponent to dismount. If facing a cavalry army could I choose to not place it for a given game, or must everything bought be used?

If so I might very well not include it as being not worth the trade off.

(a saw a game a couple of months ago where a Bedouin player with a lot of camels had a point left over and bought a single stake. Big MisStake there as his cavalry opponent promptly dismounted. Not exactly parallel as the bow were bought with stakes, but then in my list I bought the fortification also.)
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Mar 19, 2023 9:03 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
No requirement.
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Dim Mar 19, 2023 9:14 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks Dan, that was so prompt and definitive let ask about stakes then too.

Can they be voluntarily left off at the point where the owning troops are deployed on the table and defined?
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Dim Mar 19, 2023 10:31 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
So ... I can understand not deploying stakes but I thought you had to deploy Fiekd Fortifications?

If you don't have to deploy Field Fortifications does that mean you could also opt not to deploy any other unit of your choice as well?
Admittedly it would usually reduce your army break point, but in certain circumstances it might improve your ability to better command a certain Corps, for example.

Thanks
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Dim Mar 19, 2023 11:10 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
A similar question was raised a whiile ago if you could deliberately not enter flank march units.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Mar 19, 2023 11:23 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I think I agree with Dan that the player may opt to choose not deploying obstacles and fortifications - consider the player unexpectedly winning the initiative and choosing to attack.
The thinking being that the army has chosen to advance out of these defensive works (which are now off-table)

I am less sure about dropping units from commands, even though doing so gives the opponent advantages both in reducing the potential break point, and also in weakening the army. Dropping Stakes is even more moot - allowing a player to avoid using stakes does not impose penalties while gaining the advantage of preventing the enemy from dismounting. 
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Mar 20, 2023 12:48 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Mark G Fry a écrit:

If you don't have to deploy Field Fortifications does that mean you could also opt not to deploy any other unit of your choice as well?
Admittedly it would usually reduce your army break point, but in certain circumstances it might improve your ability to better command a certain Corps, for example.

It is simpler to allow someone to not deploy a unit. The imaginary value far exceeds the real world benefits, but can keep someone awake for years.

All this is wandering into weird and unnecessary territory.

We have a great game. A great hobby. Play more.
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Mar 20, 2023 9:10 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hazelbark a écrit:
Mark G Fry a écrit:

It is simpler to allow someone to not deploy a unit. The imaginary value far exceeds the real world benefits, but can keep someone awake for years.

All this is wandering into weird and unnecessary territory.

We have a great game. A great hobby. Play more.

Your comments are acknowledged and duly noted

Mark
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Lun Mar 20, 2023 1:54 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
They fill a much needed hole in the literature? Laughing
Commodore
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Mar 29, 2023 3:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
OFFICIAL DT answer : All elements included in the player's army list must be deployed on the table/flank march. This include not only units fortifications, stakes, obstacles...
To be inserted in the next FAQ.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: