Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
15mm Almughavers
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Miniatures and painting
Auteur Message
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Mer Oct 18, 2023 11:28 pm    Sujet du message: 15mm Almughavers Répondre en citant
What figs do you like for 15mm Almughavers? (For a 14th c Aragonese army)

And what color should their spear shafts be?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Lina14
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Jeu Oct 19, 2023 8:37 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hey there!

For 15mm Almughavers in a 14th-century Aragonese army, I'd go for figs with detailed armor and cool poses. As for spear shafts, I'd say a dark wood or a weathered brown would look awesome.
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Jeu Oct 19, 2023 4:35 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks.

Would they be more likely to be in armor or in fur tunics?
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Ven Oct 20, 2023 10:32 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
KevinD a écrit:
Thanks.

Would they be more likely to be in armor or in fur tunics?

Hi Kevin
There appears to be a single contemporary image of C13th/14th Catalan infantry (probably Almughavars) but also including Catalan crossbowmen as well. Note the nicely painted helmets.
You can find the image (a Sicilian wall painting) at - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infantry_in_the_Middle_Ages - but if you do a bit more searching on-line you should also find the accompanying crossbowmen as well.

I suspect that as the Grand Company progressed across the Mediterranean and won more and more battles, they probably acquired more armour - helmets and body armour at the very least. But I also suspect that arm & leg 'harness' was probably not favored (nor would be shields) as the method of fighting - repeatedly throwing javelins and a fast moving charge with a long spear held in two hands - generally would mean that arm & leg armour would have restricted this significantly. Although there are images of late C14th/C15th Italian/Sardinian javelin armed infantry, in Papal Service, that are very heavily armoured and equipped with a large oval shield.

There is the famous contemporary account of a single Almughavar, fighting in Greece, killing a number of mounted knightly opponents, using his pair of javelins, long spear and ultimately a thrown stone/rock. But he'd have had to have been pretty agile to have done all that whilst being charged by c.4 mounted enemy Laughing Laughing Laughing But there is no mention of any armour or a shield for that matter.

Going back to spear colours - as we discussed in a previous thread, I would suggest that as a soldiers weapons were handled over time, what might start off as a nice clean lighter wooden coloured shaft on a javelin or spear would darken up, through use. So I'd be going for a much darker brown for my veteran troops & lighter for raw or newer formations.

Cheers
Mark
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Ven Oct 20, 2023 4:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks, Mark. I had seen that illustration before but sort of forgot about it. It looks like 1-2 dudes in Aketon/Gambeson and the rest wearing plain cloth (presumably wool or maybe linen). They don’t really seem to look like what I’d imagine raiders from mountains or war ravaged borderlands should look like…

The bit about spear colors was my (lame) attempt at a joke after my previous request on information regarding these was mocked…

What I’m really interested in is what figures to use for a force of 14th century Almughavers for an Aragonese army that I’m expanding my Khurasan HYWar French army into…

As an aside I wonder how they actually fought. Their usual operational employment seems to have been as very effective light infantry raiders, not field actions. If forced into a field battle would they have maintained their light infantry mode of operation or would they have formed up as heavy infantry? Also, even if they were used as MI Sp Impact, should they be allowed Missile Support? Their crossbowmen are frequently mentioned and weee noted as being quite good. We’re they employed in close cooperation with the spearmen. Unfortunately I don’t know of any sources that describe how they actually fought in field actions; the best we have, AFAIK, are some unfocused comments about Kesiphos.
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Sam Oct 21, 2023 8:55 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hi Kevin

By the C14th I am (personally) not convinced that Almughavars were "raiders from the mountains" any longer.

The 'traditional' WRG Armies of the Middle Ages image of a unarmoured, shield less (mountain raider type) infantryman, in a sleeveless woolen jerkin and a soft Phrygian style hat, armed with a long-knife, a pair of short javelins and a longer spear probably went by the wayside as the Almughavars were hired into more professional amries and sent out across the Mediterranean, first to the Balearic islands, then Sicily, then Greece and ultimately Anatolia. We even hear of Catalan (Almughavar) guardsmen in later C15th Byzantine service - apparently in elaborately decorated, gold cuffed and hemmed light blue tunics, but we have no idea how they were armed.

As we don't really know for certain what C14th Almughavars really looked like, ultimately its your choice how to depict them.
My own view is that as they progressed across the Mediterranean and as time passed, they possibly fought in denser formations and acquired more armour (so HF spear might be a good classification), however, that is all just supposition.

However, I think that the current ADLG unit classifications MF, spear impact (elite) or MF, sword impact (elite) work fine (for me anyway) and there are enough HF spear in the Spanish list for you to use some of them as heavier Almughavars if you so desire.

Cheers
Mark

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Miniatures and painting
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: