Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Pursuit by units in Melee support
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 09, 2023 5:44 pm    Sujet du message: Pursuit by units in Melee support Répondre en citant
I had an interesting case come up (again) last weekend.

.3B
1C

Unit 3 and 1 are on the same side as are B and C

3 and C are facing each other and in melee. Both 1 and B are in melee support.

Unit 3 is routed in the B/C player turn.

Page 69 pursuit says that unit C does not pursue but must immediately conform instead.

The next to last bullet says that only one unit may pursue. However the second bullet says the conformation was done instead of pursuit.

So my read is that unit B, if impetuous, must pursue (unless excepted for other reasons) and if not impetuous may choose to do so.

correct?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 10, 2023 3:20 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Steve,
P69 bpt 7 says that if several units were in melee, one can advance.
P69 bpt 2 says that if a victorious unit is still in contact with the front edge of an enemy to it's flank, it may not pursue but conforms instead.

So, I tend to agree that in this situation, C would be forced to conform on 1 and may not pursue, while B may / must pursue depending on whether it is impetuous..
Thus in the following turn unless 1 evades, it will be in melee with C supported by B.

The issue here is whether the option to pursue is only made available to one of the units involved in the melee, ie. whether C being forced to conform makes it the unit eligible to pursue thus preventing B from pursuing. On balance I think this is not the case but it would be nice for others to confirm.
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 10, 2023 3:38 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Good question and answer. However, re. Ramses answer, I don’t think 1 can evade as units in melee support can’t evade, right? (P 47, 5th bullet.) It might break off during its next turn before resolv8ng the melee though…
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 10, 2023 5:01 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
No Kevin, per P51 Conforming units already in contact, 4th bpt, Unit 1 may possibly evade when Unit C conforms on it by turning to a flank.
However, the unit could also "disengage" at the start of it's turn
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 10, 2023 5:05 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Kevin I would agree. Unit 1 is not a "new" enemy. (I see I've posted simultaneously with Ramses - I think page 51 is limited to the movement phase. I think we have to look for the answer on page 69.)
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 10, 2023 5:55 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
No Neep, re-read the first words of this section “Due to melee results or â€
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 10, 2023 6:29 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Well there is also page 47 which is probably what Kevin was referring to. Unit 1 is either still in melee support, or now in melee. Either way, the prohibition on evading seems clear.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 10, 2023 7:52 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Again, No Neep. Please re-read P51 Conforming units already in contact, 4th bpt, which specifically covers this situation.
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 10, 2023 11:30 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
But the rules say units in melee support may not evade..,,
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 10, 2023 11:50 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Kevin I think Ramses is correct.

Units in melee support may not evade but when conforming happens in the pursuit phase it is no longer in melee support.
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Dim Nov 12, 2023 9:00 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
This is unfortunate, Steve. While I am not necessarily wrong, per se; it seems that you and Ramses are perhaps more correct here….
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 14, 2023 2:18 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
SteveR a écrit:
Kevin I think Ramses is correct.

Units in melee support may not evade but when conforming happens in the pursuit phase it is no longer in melee support.

No, that is because it is then in melee, not melee support.

Think of it another way:

Unit C routs unit 2 in its opponent's turn. In its turn unit C must conform to unit 1.

Can unit 1 evade?

If not then why can it evade if instead unit C conforms in its own pursuit phase?

Dave
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 14, 2023 2:30 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Agreed Dave. 
As soon as 3 dies, 1 becomes the main unit in melee with C. Exceptions to Evade P47 notes that being in melee prevents a unit from evading. 
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 14, 2023 8:27 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
So does this mean 1 can’t evade and if 1 is LI in the open that it will automatically rout but that such a rout won’t happen until the next melee phase?
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 14, 2023 10:21 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I note that the page 51 "Conforming units already in contact" section, with the important 4th bullet, says in the first sentence that it applies when "... a unit may still be in contact with an enemy without being either in melee or in in a position to support a friend in melee..." which seems to indicate that this section does not apply to this case. If narrowly constructed.

Page 69 says that enemy units contacted by pursuers "can then evade" But as we discussed the victorious unit's conformation is not pursuit contacting a new enemy.

So if you move a light infantry into contact with a flank in the open and the unit you are supporting loses then you will be destroyed.

Vae Victis

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: