Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
An Armload of Armenians
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Battle reports
Auteur Message
PHGamer
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Jeu Oct 12, 2023 11:33 am    Sujet du message: An Armload of Armenians Répondre en citant
An Armload of Armenians
Historicon has three L’ Art de la Guerre tournaments this year.
This is round 1 of the last tournament. Themed Classical.
So today, the war-leader, Lekaso and his brothers will lead the Thracian Hill tribes against the Armenians, led by Tigranes the Great.
https://philonancients.blogspot.com/2023/10/an-armload-of-armenians.html
Enjoy!
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer un e-mail Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
Hobleythick
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Lun Oct 30, 2023 4:31 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Nice report Phil. I'm interested to see an Armenian Army list. I've got some figures I'm planning on making into an Armenian army and was musing over the composition. My initial draft list had fewer Cataphracts and more Light Horse archers but I have no experience with Cataphracts in ADLG to make an informed choice. I'm also in two minds whether to use the Medium Bow armed cavalry option. I might try it just for variety. I note Spike has no foot Bowmen or LMI Javelinmen. The Armenians seem to lack much heavy infantry in the list, even Tigranes can only have a few, so you can't make much of an infantry centre even if you wanted to.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
PHGamer
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Oct 30, 2023 11:31 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I am not enamored with cataphracts in ADLG. It's the same armor bonus whether you are fighting mediums or heavies.
And being unmaneauverable is a killer.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer un e-mail Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Mar Oct 31, 2023 4:08 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
True, but they are pretty good in period, especially against armored foot. If they still prohibited Missile support from applying to them they’d be better…
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Hobleythick
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Lun Nov 13, 2023 1:02 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks both. I thought Cataphracts were not unmaneuverable but had a sort of halfway house restriction like pikes. So far my Macedonian Phalangites have done okay but I'll check the rules to make sure I haven't misunderstood.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Lun Nov 13, 2023 3:11 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
You’re right, they (Cataphracts and Pikes) are not unmaneuverable (see errata re. P 16) but are treated as if they are when trying to turn 90 or 180 degrees. (See p 34-35). (No penalty for wheeling or moving short thought nor apparently for expanding or contracting.)

Paying an extra CP to turn 90 hurts their operational mobility a bit. However paying the extra CP and losing another UD to turn 90 can really hurt them tactically. It makes it much more difficult for them to respond to an enemy flank threat. It also means that when they break through an enemy formation it is more difficult to flank the adjacent enemy and roll up his line.

Using other cavalry (such as HC Impact) to cover their flank can help with some of these issues … and give you a better chance to catch enemy evaders.

Overall I’m not real impressed by them but they are useful versus enemy HI or Bw.

I think the concept behind Spike’s Armenians was to lean into the army’s strength in a theme tournament. He could try to use terrain (Strategist helps here) to hinder swarming opponents and the two groups of Cataphracts’ frontal hitting power to smash opponents on a narrow frontage. The couple of imitation legions gave him a bit of HI if needed. He had some mounted Skirmishers to delay losing on the refused wing(s) and cover the flanks of the Cataphracts. He avoided using the trash infantry that would just be targets for the enemy.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
PHGamer
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Nov 13, 2023 11:42 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hobleythick, You are right, Cataphracts are "mostly" unmaneauverable. Like Pike, they can move short distance. And I think are not subject to difficult maneuvers when extending or contracting.
PHGamer
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Nov 13, 2023 11:44 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I just finished a writeup of Samurai, with all MI, vs Parthian. Again lots of terrain, but drastically different results. It should be published next month.
Hobleythick
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 14, 2023 11:19 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks for the comments guys. I have most of the figures, so I might as well paint them. t will be a voyage of discovery to use them. Very Happy
PHGamer
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 15, 2023 12:08 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
You're welcome! My very first ancients army was a cataphract army, Palmyran. Lots of cats, supported by horse bow, foot bow, and as many Roman foot as you could want. That of course led to many expansion armies.
In that day, the rule set of choice was WRG 6. And one of the caveats of cataphracts was they counted shielded, even when not. Then WRG 7 came out, and that bonus was not grandfathered along, but the cost for being shielded was maintained. And that began the decline of the cataphract armies in the ancient gaming.
With ADLG, being shieldless is not a consideration, and frankly, I don't miss that detail.
But I do feel that cataphracts are not cost effective. Their closest equivalent is Heavy Knight, Impact. Cats are 1 point cheaper, but also only +1 vs mounted where as the Knights are +2. And the Cats impact is negated by mounted impact. Then you add their special maneuverability problems, it is a poor value for 1 point of savings.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Battle reports
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: