Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Decisive combats in terrain
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 25, 2024 11:57 pm    Sujet du message: Decisive combats in terrain Répondre en citant
Combats in terrain tend to be more decisive (resolve quicker or inflict more army cohesion points on the combatants) than combat in the open. This is because units fighting in terrain tend to have fewer CPs (2 or 3) compared to combats in the open (3 or 4), and perhaps combatants in terrain are less likely to be armored or elite. Some units also lack ZOCs in terrain which can mean such troops are a bit more vulnerable to flank attacks or other tricky maneuvers.

This seems slightly odd, as historically fighting in bad terrain on the periphery of the main battlefield was often less decisive.

This means that actions in terrain on the flanks tends to resolve quicker than fighting in the open - especially infantry combat.

Does this strike anyone else as odd?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 26, 2024 12:35 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Well i am not as certain it ends up that way in game terms although i accept your point about differential in cohesion. Similarly you tend to not have large large differentials in combat factors often having similar troops. Mostly the situation is similar forces. This yields even combats that may not swing quickly.

Practically you usually have asymmetric forces meet in rough. 3 bow hit by 4 MI impetuous well that would be the same in the open.

Rarely do people send in disadvantaged troops into terrain.

Now send HI or mounted into Difficult is going to be slow from movement.

Then what is the table terrain representing. IMHO players wildly distort this to be whatever suits their belief or need or argument. Historically say 19th century to present the idea of fighting in woods is largely a long slow fight where troops go to ground and progress is slow. My view is that is impassable terrain in most of our period rules. Probably our battlefields have lots of isolated terrain things and undulations that are nor modelled except in the die roll. The designated rough and difficult bits are consistently worse.

But in pure game play terms i am hard pressed to think of times where assaults even by better forces move faster through contested terrain than the open confrontation of heavy units. In my final game at lisbon there was a central plantation that did exactly the opposite both sides were feeding in two and three cohesion units and they kept dissapearing in the plantation which was central. It served as a hornets nest that neither side ended up being able to sustain power projection out the opposite side.
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 26, 2024 3:25 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I agree with most of what you say, but draw a different conclusion: The hornet’s nest that consumes units turns out to be where the game is decided as units getting quickly chewed up there pushes armies towards 50% losses and premature demoralization even as the heavier troops in the open have suffered far lower percentage losses - or maybe this is just my own fault by perhaps being overly aggressive with lighter troops of the sorts who contest the hornet’s nest…
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 26, 2024 1:57 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
In my specific example both armies were nearly entirely consisting of units with only 2 or 3 cohesion so that would have been the same factor anywhere.

Well as you get around to playing tournaments across a spectrum of opponents and continents you can try your strategy and see what happens.
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 26, 2024 8:54 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
KevinD a écrit:
I agree with most of what you say, but draw a different conclusion: The hornet’s nest that consumes units turns out to be where the game is decided as units getting quickly chewed up there pushes armies towards 50% losses and premature demoralization even as the heavier troops in the open have suffered far lower percentage losses - or maybe this is just my own fault by perhaps being overly aggressive with lighter troops of the sorts who contest the hornet’s nest…

In my experience, a lot of more experienced players just avoid the difficult terrain, regardless of whether they have some MF types or not. Getting sucked into a 'whirl-pool' of ongoing melees away from the main center/focus of the battle is a mistake - unless you have overwhelming odds or very superior troop types, and even then, there is no guarantee that you will succeed and dominate your opponent. Even if your terrain orientated troops do get to dominate a piece of terrain, very often, by the time they are in a position to do anything to influence the main combats, it is far too late, or they end up ultimately fighting at a disadvantage outside the terrain anyway. I've learnt the hard way - too many times - that those 2 LF slingers elite in that Plantation should be left well alone!

I also disagree that you can create a 'hornet's net' in terrain, especially if your opponent chooses to ignore that terrain or blocks you coming out of it. In fact, I have a view that very often terrain pieces can act as a huge distraction tactically, from the main center of the battle. But that is just a personal view and I have fought quite a lot recently with an army with MF impetuous elite and even they are no guarantee, even in numbers of a successful outcome.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 27, 2024 1:45 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Mark G Fry a écrit:

I also disagree that you can create a 'hornet's net' in terrain, especially if your opponent chooses to ignore that terrain or blocks you coming out of it. In fact, I have a view that very often terrain pieces can act as a huge distraction tactically, from the main center of the battle.

Agree. In the example i had, i don't think either player planned on this. I thought i would be through and projecting power out the other side to flank the opponent's heavy attack wing. The opponent decided that he needed to take every chance to cripple my forces moving through it. So it was not created by choice but happenstance which is actually somewhat historical albeit different time periods.
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 27, 2024 5:28 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
KevinD a écrit:
Combats in terrain tend to be more decisive (resolve quicker or inflict more army cohesion points on the combatants) than combat in the open. This is because units fighting in terrain tend to have fewer CPs (2 or 3) compared to combats in the open (3 or 4), and perhaps combatants in terrain are less likely to be armored or elite. Some units also lack ZOCs in terrain which can mean such troops are a bit more vulnerable to flank attacks or other tricky maneuvers.

This seems slightly odd, as historically fighting in bad terrain on the periphery of the main battlefield was often less decisive.

This means that actions in terrain on the flanks tends to resolve quicker than fighting in the open - especially infantry combat.

Does this strike anyone else as odd?

No, it doesn't strike me as odd, and also doesn't really sound like my experience in any of the games I've ever played either.

I do however think you are now beginning to over-think this rather fun game of toy soldiers a little too much for your own good - I do hope it doesn't start to detract from your ability to enjoy playing the game.
babyshark
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 28, 2024 1:39 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
This does not really follow my experience.

On the other hand, the notion that an action the opposing generals thought would be a sideshow to the "real" battle could turn into the decisive event doesn't surprise me either. In fact, it seems quite historical.

Marc

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: