Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Clarification about charge.
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
harryKonst
Archer

MessagePosté le: Mer Oct 11, 2017 9:40 am    Sujet du message: Clarification about charge. Répondre en citant
Two units of Heavy Cavalry are behind four units of friendly Light Cavalry. Two units of enemy Knights want to charge the Heavy Cavalry and are 3 UD apart, but the Light Cavalry is in the way of the charge, completely masking the Heavy Cavalry units.

My question is, if I declare a charge and the Light Cavalry evades, do I have to roll a die to determine my charge distance (as per evading units) or do I simply move my normal distance, thus making contact with the Heavy Cavalry? In other words, can the Heavy Cavalry be the target of my charge?

You can also click on the diagram picture below, for a better visual representation.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/s6LnfP5MJbk3kd1X2
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Commodore
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Oct 11, 2017 10:22 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
When you declare a charge, you just have to indicate the direction of your charge.
Then, all the evading/capable units have to decide to stay or evade, after you make your charge move. If all the possible targets within normal charge distance (i.e. moving distance) evade, the charging units make a variable move. If there is any target remaining at range, this is a normal charge move, without variable die roll (P40, 7-charge move, 1st Para)
In your case, the knights indicate their charge direction, then the light horse decide to stand (good luck!) or not, then the heavy cavalry , if evade capable. If anyone stay within 3 UD of the knights, no variable move.
Developing your example, if the knights are at 3 UD from the LH and more than 3 UD from the CV, then you have to make a variable move, who can conduct to a contact KN/CV in the case of a 5/6 roll. then the CV may have the possibility to evade.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Oct 11, 2017 3:21 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Yep
After all enemy evade. If there is still an enemy unit within your normal move in the direction of your charge there is no VMD.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Oct 11, 2017 10:05 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
And just to be clear, all units in range of the direction of the charge are ‘targets’ unless they are ineligible for some reason. So in this case, both the LC and HC are potential targets and can evade (probably testing separately).

Where there is some question over the target, the chargers should nominate their target. Eg in the above example the chargers might nominate to charge only the LC (in which case the HC would not evade).

Finally, should the target evade and the chargers throw 5 or 6 going long, any other enemy units that were outside the initial charge range may also evade if they would now be contacted.
harryKonst
Archer

MessagePosté le: Jeu Oct 12, 2017 6:56 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thank you all for your replies. In page 40 of the rulebook the author says that there must be a dice roll if all the target units of the charging unit-group evade. So, the word targets made the confusion. The Cv was impact non evading cavalry, and it was fully masked by the L.Horse. So I supposed the Cv couldn't be the target of the charge. Good to know the way the game is played .Thanks again.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Oct 12, 2017 10:22 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ok in that case, potentially both the LC and the Cv impact cavalry could be nominated on the presumption that the LC might evade (assuming they are in position to do so).

Basically the process of declaring the charge direction and potential targets is designed to clarify the intentions of the Chargers and the options available to both sides before any units are moved.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Oct 12, 2017 5:59 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:
Basically the process of declaring the charge direction and potential targets is designed to clarify the intentions of the Chargers and the options available to both sides before any units are moved.

Good point the game is about avoiding gotcha situations. Fully explaining intent is good sportsmanship and implied in the rules

Note you can't charge a unit you can't contact. So you have to declare a charge versus the LC and then point out practically if they evade you will hit the HC behind them.

And so the HC become the target after the LC evade. This triggers the do not need to roll the VMD. Also it triggers if the HC were bow then they would have the option to evade.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: