Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Generals
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Others topics
Auteur Message
Zoranno
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 06, 2016 11:05 am    Sujet du message: Generals Répondre en citant
Hi all

Just wondering what everyone does with their Generals when creating an army list?
Do you prefer to include your Generals in a unit or have them seperate?
I haven't had the pleasure of any games yet hopefully soon and being an ex DBM player I'm used to having a Generals element that fights.

Anyway I'm interested in hearing your views

Regards, Zoranno
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Commodore
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 06, 2016 11:56 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Some strategic/army design hints :
-If you need a specific terrain control to maximize your army effect, play with a strategist
-If you need to deploy second and/or play first, boost your command to the maximum and buy some LH to reach INIT +3 or more
-If you have a small army, avoid to include you generals as you will need them to rally your units.
-If you have combined arms corps (inf+cav), use at least a competent. If you have single arms corps, you may use an ordinary.
-non-manoeuvrable units need at least a competent general

Some tactical hints
-If you have impetuous troops, command them with a brilliant, even with a roll of a "1", you will have at least 3 PIP to control them
-You may include the general of your shock corps, but try to use only an ordinary and be sure you are able to put it in the right place, with adequate support. Otherwise, keep your general not included so that you are able to choose the best place to engage it.
-If you need to included a general, choose one elite unit, with armour.
-Never include more than a competent general
-Never put in combat more than a competent general, except maybe for the last turn to cause the last enemy casualty.
- If your units are in melee that you know it will take time to win (ex:HI vs HI), do not included your general, you will need it to rally your units.
- Be certain that an included general become a target for the enemy, on shooting and on melee. Its loss will count from 3 losses (base+ordinary) to 6 losses (base +strategist)
-If your army has a corps used in defence/delay or who does not need to move forward in support of an attack, you may use an unreliable general. Just be sure to deploy two LI/LH in front for any opportunity of enemy unit moving within 4UD activation.
Zoranno
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Dim Déc 11, 2016 10:54 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hi Commadore

Thanks for the advice

Regards, Zoranno
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Déc 12, 2016 6:02 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Excellent suggestions.
I would say players starting out should NEVER use included generals until your 10th game. It is too easy to have something go wrong.

The way I would look at an included generals to start with is like DBM the old single element or nearly single element command.

But wait until you learn the other mechanisms as this is an early risk you don't need.
Black Prince
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Lun Déc 12, 2016 9:17 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks for posting great information for us Newbies.
Snowcat
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 19, 2018 7:42 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
In true 'barbarian' armies, and by those I mean screaming Gauls, Germans, Franks, Goths, Saxons and the like, where tactical sophistication is limited more to things such as loud battle cries, wild haircuts or rude bits on display...would it be more 'in the proper spirit' of such an army for most or all of its Commanders to be Included?

The risks to such Commanders is high, and extra loss of unit cohesion should they die is an added penalty, but leading from behind just doesn't seem quite right, does it?

What is the normal practice of owners of such armies with respect to their Commanders?

Note: this is 'concept' first, 'sensible' second.

Cheers
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 19, 2018 2:52 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The barbarian armies tend to have low command values - so the “handicap†(or “barbarian conceptâ€) is inbuilt already in that your generals often can do little more with their men than steam ahead anyway. 

No need to add another, overly-literal layer to something the rules design has already covered. 
Jhykronos
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 26, 2018 11:10 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
madaxeman a écrit:
The barbarian armies tend to have low command values - so the “handicap†(or “barbarian conceptâ€) is inbuilt already in that your generals often can do little more with their men than steam ahead anyway. 

No need to add another, overly-literal layer to something the rules design has already covered. 

Not to mention how much of gamers attitudes toward "barbarians" has more to do with the biases of ancient Roman and Greek authors than the actual accounts of what they did in battle. I'm still at a loss for how the battle of Telamon went down if the Gauls were really an uncontrollable impetuous mob.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 27, 2018 3:50 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Snowcat a écrit:

What is the normal practice of owners of such armies with respect to their Commanders?

Note: this is 'concept' first, 'sensible' second.

Cheers

I usually design my Barbarians and most recently successful Ostrogoths with one included ordinary commander. But that command has very little else to do but fight. What you should never do is commit a general to lose more slowly. Generals should be used to speed up already good situations. Or in the case of small commands because the downside is low.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 27, 2018 3:56 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
[quote="Jhykronos"]
madaxeman a écrit:
I'm still at a loss for how the battle of Telamon went down if the Gauls were really an uncontrollable impetuous mob.

I think the ADLG process is they charge only when they can contact fits well enough. I have seen a lot of sloppy Roman armies run over by Gauls and Germans. I really find it silly some old rules that they start charging and losing order potentially 8 moves away form any enemy. You'd have to be a Zulu to run 40 miles and then fight a battle.
Snowcat
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 27, 2018 9:05 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hazelbark a écrit:
What you should never do is commit a general to lose more slowly. Generals should be used to speed up already good situations. Or in the case of small commands because the downside is low.

Worth remembering, thanks.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Others topics
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: