Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Question about the Samurai list
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Army lists
Auteur Message
Darthvegeta800
Javelinier

MessagePosté le: Ven Fév 19, 2016 4:28 pm    Sujet du message: Question about the Samurai list Répondre en citant
I have yet to pick up a copy of this ruleset.
One of the deciding factor will be what Samurai army list is in it.
Is it the early era (Taira - Minamoto)? Or later, aimed at the Sengoku Jidai?
And how does the list cope with the unique approach to war typical of early era Samurai?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer un e-mail Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur Adresse AIM Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jhykronos
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Ven Fév 19, 2016 7:08 pm    Sujet du message: Re: Question about the Samurai list Répondre en citant
There are 2 lists:

Samurai: 1041-1350
Later Samurai: 1350-1550

Neither list is particularly accurate for Japanese warfare, IMO. You have the usual discredited chestnuts of separate units of Samurai and followers, bodies of Samurai cavalry classified the same as their Mongol opponents, formed bodies of Samurai foot archers in the early period, et cetera. Plus some apparent confusion about when spears or naginatas* became prominent among both Samurai and followers.

*- Not to mention the amusing habit of rules authors following WRG to classify the naginata as a 2HW or "Heavy Weapon"
Darthvegeta800
Javelinier

MessagePosté le: Ven Fév 19, 2016 7:47 pm    Sujet du message: Re: Question about the Samurai list Répondre en citant
Jhykronos a écrit:
There are 2 lists:

Samurai: 1041-1350
Later Samurai: 1350-1550

Neither list is particularly accurate for Japanese warfare, IMO. You have the usual discredited chestnuts of separate units of Samurai and followers, bodies of Samurai cavalry classified the same as their Mongol opponents, formed bodies of Samurai foot archers in the early period, et cetera. Plus some apparent confusion about when spears or naginatas* became prominent among both Samurai and followers.

*- Not to mention the amusing habit of rules authors following WRG to classify the naginata as a 2HW or "Heavy Weapon"

Well I'm especially looking for a good early era one as it is hard to pull off.

On one hand we clearly know the Samurai Archers worked in units with their retainers on foot yet at the same time we know they could perform veritable coordinated cavalry bow attacks.
In an abstract system it seems very hard to pull off.
Especially nr1: foot + mounted Samurai archer.

As for naginata/spear use i'm flexible in that. The most important one for me is to give it the right 'feel'.
And that has left me still wanting.

---

As for the Sengoku Jidia, the era I like most tend to focus (overly focus?) on... does the system manage to reflect the use of the arquebus and the spear/pike like formations or are they reflected in a very 'static' fashion?

Thanks for the feedback btw! Smile
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer un e-mail Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur Adresse AIM Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jhykronos
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Ven Fév 19, 2016 9:37 pm    Sujet du message: Re: Question about the Samurai list Répondre en citant
Darthvegeta800 a écrit:

Well I'm especially looking for a good early era one as it is hard to pull off.

Heh, no kidding. It's a style of warfare much easier to adapt to skirmish and low level tactical systems.

Citation:

On one hand we clearly know the Samurai Archers worked in units with their retainers on foot yet at the same time we know they could perform veritable coordinated cavalry bow attacks.

Yeah, but even their "collected" mounted charges would tend to be followed by running retainters... lack of horse stature and the peculiarities of their organization make it really hard to classify the mounted samurai as any sort of conventional cavalry... even in the later periods.

Citation:
In an abstract system it seems very hard to pull off.
Especially nr1: foot + mounted Samurai archer.

Well, a couple of more recent popular ancients rules have attempted to capture the whole "mixed-arms" clan unit dynamic... I can't really say I'm completely satisfied with the results, though.

Citation:
As for naginata/spear use i'm flexible in that. The most important one for me is to give it the right 'feel'.

Well, it's more of a legacy game mechanic problem than an army list one, but I do wince every time I run into a rule set that bothers to differentiate the armor levels of the Samurai and lower class bushi, then goes and gives every retainer or upjumped temple guard the ability to mitigate armor because they happen to have the slashing-sword-on-a-long-stick weapon that the rules decided to equate to a european halberd or pollaxe for some reason.

Citation:
And that has left me still wanting.

Well, to be fair, it's probably better for sales to make your Samurai list adhere to the popular mythology than try to squeeze a bunch of nuances that may not elegantly fit into a generic rules system. I know one famous competing rule set that makes no bones about its Samurai supplement being completely derived from Hollywood and Kurasawa movies.

Citation:
As for the Sengoku Jidia, the era I like most tend to focus (overly focus?) on... does the system manage to reflect the use of the arquebus and the spear/pike like formations or are they reflected in a very 'static' fashion?

ADG conveniently ends the list before guns get much traction in Japan. And most Pike/Shot era rules have serious issues trying to reasonably simulate European warfare, much less "secondary" priorities like Sengoku Japan.

Citation:
Thanks for the feedback btw! Smile

Any time.
Darthvegeta800
Javelinier

MessagePosté le: Ven Fév 19, 2016 9:44 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks. I may pick it up or i might not. I'll consider it anyway.
Game certainly has a lot of lists.
Smile
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Fév 19, 2016 11:09 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Well as a player of the game and rules. Let me say the Samurai armies are very interesting. They look to give good historical match up in what is honestly an era of civil wars. But the lists also are pretty viable against ahistorical opponents as well.

Since you expressed interest in the early period.
They get good but not outstanding command and control.
The mounted Samurai are quite good. There are primarily a shooting force. but the way the RULES work this cavalry attacking most of the samurai infantry will get the advantage of impact as well. In a historical the Samurai cavalry are inferior in a charge as Alexander's companions and significantly vulnerable to knights. The best Mongol cavalry is better than the best samurai cavalry.

The Foot Samurai can be taken in two styles.
A mixed formation that has strong shooting and reasonable close combat capabilities or a better close combat ability that if winning inflict more damage. The later can be taken in a denser formation that resists cavalry onslaughts.

The followers with Yari and bow are absolutely weaker troops. Likely to lose to Samurai.

The list has associated small amounts of fortifications, Emishi cavalry, Warrior monks and stampeding cattle. None of which are powerful but all have a useful purpose if you bring some of them.

Certainly the earlier list (1041-1350) I've outlined is the better of the two and viable against similar time period oppoents.

An army would be about 14-18 units of infantry and 4-8 of mounted.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Fév 19, 2016 11:23 pm    Sujet du message: Re: Question about the Samurai list Répondre en citant
Jhykronos a écrit:

You are conflating the lists here and not quite outlining things precisely.

The early list in particular has mixed Samurai that can fight and shoot. Are these pure Samurai or Samurai and retainers is a modeling issue.
The Samurai Cavalry is in fact different from the Mongol Cavalry. It is more armored than the regular Mongol cavalry and the best Mongol cavalry is slightly better than the Samurai.
The early list does not classify anything other than Samurai as having 2 handed weapon. Heavy Weapon is a designation in a different rule set. Now its an opinion whether the Samurai should have that or not, but it makes them in historical matchups more likely to do damage if they win. A not unreasonable ability.
The followers in the early list are about as mediocre average as you can have in game terms so I wouldn't argue they are overpowered. Yes the later list allows you to buy them as somewhat better, but the change is from somewhat effective, to effective. Hardly an over-powering classification.
Darthvegeta800
Javelinier

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 20, 2016 9:05 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Quite informative feedback.
Many thanks.

Have any of you tried the list or lists in practice?
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 20, 2016 6:57 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Every time I see an akira kurosawa move I want to build this army, but I resist. That would generally be an even later period.

I've fought against them twice in ahistorical fights. Two club mates run them.
belinconnux
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 21, 2016 6:15 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Soranon play a Samouraï list with success.
Darthvegeta800
Javelinier

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 21, 2016 6:20 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hazelbark a écrit:
Every time I see an akira kurosawa move I want to build this army, but I resist. That would generally be an even later period.

I've fought against them twice in ahistorical fights. Two club mates run them.

7 Samurai, Ran and the likes are always good inspiration!

How do did those battles go? Did you find the armies of your opponents flavorful?
Soranon
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 21, 2016 7:21 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
belinconnux a écrit:
Soranon play a Samouraï list with success.

Samurais (list 210) is a very difficult army list. The lack of LI is really a problem.

But I love them Smile

(I'm used to play with two dragon miniature witch are more later samurai than Miromoto period samurai)

Some pictures :

It's a really powerfull army if you have a good plan and a good deployment. The problem is that it's difficult to play more than 21 units...

In V2 it was much more difficult to play them but in V3 it's clearly a better army list (Mi has upgrade against mounted).

Since V3 I play maybe 15 games with my samurai and it was 11 victories, 3 draw and just 1 loss. And the loss was a tournament game in with I choose to take risks for trying to win...

In V2 in 12 games, I had 4 victories, 4 draw and 4 defeats.
Darthvegeta800
Javelinier

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 21, 2016 7:41 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
A beautiful army!
Do you feel they play in a historically correct fashion?
Are they playable for a beginner of the system? Smile
Soranon
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 21, 2016 8:08 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Darthvegeta800 a écrit:
A beautiful army!
Do you feel they play in a historically correct fashion?
Are they playable for a beginner of the system? Smile

I choosed to play them with only MI bow elite and a cavalry corps.

I didn't choose to respect an historical samurai army... Sorry, but i think it's not so far away from a Minamoto army.

I know another french player that play this army list in a way that seem more historical : He's used to play both HI 2 handed weapons and MI bow. He used to play two corps 2 MI bow elite, 3 HI elite and 2 medium lancers mediocre.

I think that samurai army is clearly one of the most difficult army to play for a beguinner and my army list is... well just say that it's a risky one... But it suit me very well.

My last army list : SAMURAI 210, +3 Initiative, 20 units

Brillant general 6
6 MI bow elite 72
2 medium lancer mediocre 10
1 LC bow 6

Competent general non reliant 0
1 MI bow elite 12
2 MI bow
2 medium lancer mediocre 10
1 LC bow 6

Competent general included 0
4 HC bow elite
1 LC bow

With this samurai army list, I finish 4th and 3rd in two very difficult french tournaments but I never feel that I have an easy game at all...

My friend Paul (an english player who live in Toulouse like me) said that he didn't find a way to beat my samurai army list if I'm not very unlucky with terrain placement.

I prefer to tell you that most of players I saw playing my list (or a very close one) usually loose heavily their games... One of the reason I choose to play samurai in tournament was because I begun to be less concentrated with my other favorit armies like ghaznevids... So I want to force my self to play better.
Darthvegeta800
Javelinier

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 21, 2016 8:22 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Et féliciations à un joueur accompli! Smile

I'd probably fuck it up knowing myself. But visually Early and late Samurai armies appeal to me greatly. I'm quite tempted by the early one as it is far more unique than the other Samurai stuff I have. Few people ever seem to wargame with early era Samurai in any system.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Army lists
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: