Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Placing ambushes voluntarily during an opponent’s move
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Jeu Sep 21, 2023 11:17 pm    Sujet du message: Placing ambushes voluntarily during an opponent’s move Répondre en citant
How does this mechanic actually work?

P 77 says “A player can also reveal units in ambush during the opponent’s movement phase as soon as an enemy unit is within or comes within 4 UD of the marker.â€

1. Is this (a) a one time use it or lose it ability where you may only place the unit when the enemy first comes with 4 UD or (b) can it be exercised any time the enemy unit is moving within 4 UD (say by going from 3.9999 UD to 3 UD away)?

2. If it is a one time thing, can it (a) be triggered the first time each enemy unit comes within 4? (Say by waiting for another enemy unit to move, or even just a further away unit of the moving group itself getting within 4?) or (b) just the first time any enemy comes within 4UD?

3. Or if the enemy moves to within 4 (say 3.9999 UD) do I have to declare my intention to reveal the ambush then, and if I do not do so then I cannot later place it on table when he comes to say 3 UD or 2 UD?

4. How does this apply to enemy units that deploy within 4 UD of my marker? (a) Do I have to exercise the option to do so at the beginning of the first enemy move or (b) can I wait until the unit that deployed within 4 UD itself moves or (c) can I never exercise this option as the time when the unit was first within 4 UD of my ambush marker was not during his move and hence I was not eligible to place it?

(The reason I ask is a strict interpretation of the rule to never deploy then at less than 1 UD seems to often prevent a player who waits for the enemy to get WITHIN 1 UD of the marker from ever placing more than 1 ambusher on a line as all of the subsequent units may be WITHIN 1 UD from the enemy.)
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Sep 22, 2023 1:18 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
This is not a one time ability.

It is recommended that the decision process not be restricted to 1mm movement increments.

I have LH 5 UD.
OK I am now 3.9. 3.8, 3.7, 3.6

It behooves the sportsmanship of the game to make it easy.
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Ven Sep 22, 2023 6:03 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks for clarifying this, Dan.

So as enemy troops move up (from say 5 to 1 UD from an ambush marker) I declare I want to reveal at 2 UD, place the units, and then my opponent may redo any part of his move after I place them (e.g., stop at 2, continue moving up to 1 or even turn around and move back if permitted)?
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Sep 22, 2023 8:57 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
You Kevin are now prohibited from placing ambushes in all future tournament games. Rolling Eyes

The original drafting was to have the trigger persist into succeeding turns. The assumption was probably really needing to check once per turn per unit.

As i said, the lack of desirability to play.
3.9 are you revealing
3.8 are your revealing
3.7 are your revealing
3.6 are your revealing
3.5 are your revealing
3.4 are your revealing
3.3 are your revealing
3.2 are your revealing
3.1 are your revealing
3.0 are your revealing
2.9 are your revealing
2.8 are your revealing
etc

It just isn't necessary.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Sep 22, 2023 10:09 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Agreed Dan. K.I.S.S. If absolutely necessary, do the following

Player A declares he will advance a unit / group toward an ambush,
Player B declares he will reveal the ambush when the units have moved to point X
Player A moves to that point, and player B reveals the ambush
Player A then completes the movement of the units, respecting the revealed enemy units ZoC etc.
babyshark
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Ven Sep 22, 2023 11:06 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:
Agreed Dan. K.I.S.S. If absolutely necessary, do the following

Player A declares he will advance a unit / group toward an ambush,
Player B declares he will reveal the ambush when the units have moved to point X
Player A moves to that point, and player B reveals the ambush
Player A then completes the movement of the units, respecting the revealed enemy units ZoC etc.

Yes.

The language of the rule is "as soon as," which I take to mean there is to be no fiddling about. Either reveal the troops or don't, but do not get into millimeter games.

Marc

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: