Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Charging troops who do not contact enemy
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 01, 2023 12:19 pm    Sujet du message: Charging troops who do not contact enemy Répondre en citant
I never noticed this before, and wondered if this is widely understood and played.

“7 if not all targets evade
…
Any units that do not contact the enemy must advance, following the rules set out in point 6, other than that their movement allowance is not adjustedâ€

“6 - If all initial targets evade
….
Non impetuous units should advance if possible at least 1UD for foot or 2UD for mountedâ€

It seems that even non impetuous charging groups may break up whit units that do not hit enemy forced to extend their move if they have not done the 1or 2ud minimum. If this reading is correct I been playing the rules wrong for years
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 01, 2023 8:48 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I think that the last bullet in step 6 may support how you (and I) have been playing it.

Once a charge makes contact with an enemy unit the charge stops. Even if the charge has not gone 2/1 UD

Then units which have not contacted an enemy may optionally or mandatorily continue as allowed/required in other steps.
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 01, 2023 9:26 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Nope, not if some of the initial targets have evaded. It is a little odd that charging close ends up being penalized, but as they say, them's the rules.
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Lun Oct 02, 2023 6:05 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
SteveR a écrit:
I think that the last bullet in step 6 may support how you (and I) have been playing it.

Once a charge makes contact with an enemy unit the charge stops. Even if the charge has not gone 2/1 UD

As I read it bp6 refers to a unit, not the entire group. So only those that contact or will become simple support stop. Those that have not moved the 1/2ud and impetuous troops must then make their mandatory extra movement.
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Lun Oct 02, 2023 3:40 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I agree with Mike. The last bullet under 6, p 43 starts with “…the charge stops if the unit meets…†which reads as if it is adjudicated on a unit by unit basis. The units that meet the condition stop, the others continue to 1/2 UD or max move if Impetuous.
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Oct 02, 2023 4:02 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
This may help - https://www.artdelaguerre.fr/adlg/v3/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9591

Includes comments from Herve.
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Lun Oct 02, 2023 4:23 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
vexillia a écrit:
This may help - https://www.artdelaguerre.fr/adlg/v3/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9591

Includes comments from Herve.

Thanks, although I cannot see that it covers where the non contacting units have moved less than the required 1/2 UD minimum
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Oct 02, 2023 5:23 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The group halts unless impetuous.
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Lun Oct 02, 2023 5:39 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
vexillia a écrit:
The group halts unless impetuous.

What I saw was “ So the unit that contact and the other that give support stops their chargeâ€, a comment about impetuous units, but no comment on any units that had not moved 1 / 2 UD
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Oct 02, 2023 6:18 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Read the case again. There are units not in contact that conform with those that are and therefore stop at first contact as part of the group. Distance moved is not important.
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Lun Oct 02, 2023 7:08 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I have to agree with Mike. Hervé was answering the question asked. He might have assumed the minimum charge had been met. He might have overlooked it. What he doesn't say is not a persuasive basis for a ruling.
(Wrong thread.)
---
Dirty thought. Can the 1UD "maintain the group" allowance be used to move units straight back to connect??
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Oct 03, 2023 7:18 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Mike is right here [shudder Wink ]. No question was asked about minimum moves and Herve made no comment about it.

Dave
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mar Oct 03, 2023 1:12 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
In that case I'll leave it to you gentlemen to seek resolution elsewhere. Razz
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Mar Oct 03, 2023 2:00 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Most wise of you Martin.

In a US Court an Attorney might respond to continuation of this debate with "Objection. Asked and answered"
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Oct 03, 2023 10:38 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I have to agree with Mike. 
  1. The charging units that will make contact do so, conforming as required.
  2. Other units in the group move as part of the group until contact is made. Then;
    • If the group has moved the minimum movement distance, the other units in the group may stop unless they are impetuous.
    • If the group has not moved its minimum distance, then yes, the other units have have to do so.  
[/list]

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: