Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Commander Basing?
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Miniatures and painting
Auteur Message
76mm
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Sam Jan 20, 2024 2:04 am    Sujet du message: Commander Basing? Répondre en citant
I'm just getting started collecting, painting, and basing my first armies! I'm doing 10mm and have a question about basing commanders: for some reason it offends my sensibilities to have a couple of 10mm figures on a "huge" 40mm base, so I'd like to base my commanders (with standards, etc) on 20mm or 30mm square or hex bases. Is there any reason not to do so?

I don't play to play competitively, and play to have a 40mm x 40mm base to use as a commander placeholder if necessary, so to me it seems like no harm, no foul?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Sam Jan 20, 2024 4:07 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Smaller bases with a few (1-3) figs would be fine.

You could also have a larger larger base with a number of figures making a diorama. This might include the big guy, some musicians, standard bearers and bodyguards and maybe a few messengers. You might also have things like the screens used by Japanese generals for a Samurai army. If you look at Renaissance or similar era paintings of classical battles you can often see a focus on the headquarters staff of the general and use these as inspiration. (Here’s a picture of Caesar at Alicia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Caesar#/media/File:Siege-alesia-vercingetorix-jules-cesar.jpg)

Another option is to use a single larger figure (15-25mm) to show the great leader larger than life. Tim Porter does this if you see some of his pictures. IMO this would be really suitable if doing an Egyptian or other Bronze Age army where contemporary art very often shows the great man as heroically larger than everyone else.
76mm
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Sam Jan 20, 2024 3:52 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm too lazy and untalented to make diorama-style bases, and for me using larger figures would be rather jarring.

I forgot to mention that another goal is to keep the basing compatible with other (to be determined) rulesets to the maximum extent possible.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Miniatures and painting
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: