Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Arty and light troops
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
Amra
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Ven Oct 07, 2016 11:01 pm    Sujet du message: Arty and light troops Répondre en citant
Hi All ,

I love these rules and the game but one aspect bugs me .

Why can artillery shoot thru light troops ? Worse , how do we justify shooting thru mounted light troops ?

How is it possible flat trajectory weapons like scorpions or giant iron ball bombards can fire thru their own troops without effect ?

No army has optics or sights on their weapons

Can anyone point to any historical account where this happened ?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Oct 08, 2016 5:42 am    Sujet du message: Re: Arty and light troops Répondre en citant
Hi Amra, glad you like the rules.

The artillery shoot over, not through, light troops.

Thanks for reminding me that this applies to light cav as well as light foot.

I'd urge you not to get hung up on what is a relatively trivial aspect of the game - in around 40 competition games I've come across artillery twice [one Roman army and a medieval war wagon] and neither was used in the way described. But if they had been I don't think there'd have been too much of a gain for the shooters as the evade and interpenetration rules would make it a a risky tactic.

I'm not sure you're right to describe Scorpions and Ballistas as flat trajectory weapons at ranges of 240 to 360 metres [4 to 6 UD].

Also bear in mind that the light troops may be dispersed or clumped in ways that make it easy to spot the target. And even without modern sighting/ranging equipment ancient shooters were able to hit their targets from time to time. Wink

Dave
Amra
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Sam Oct 08, 2016 6:15 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hi Dave ,

Thanks for that . You make some good points .

I think effective range for Scorpions was more like 100 meters but I take your point

Although they can get caught at closer range , LH supporting heavy (8 MU) fire is useful .My Burgundian Ordnance have 2 heavy guns partnered with 2 LH crossbow, every shot the target is 0 and I'm either 1 or usually 2 ( 1LH and 1 Art supporting Arty)
I have plenty of range to skip away and if they charge , they haven't rallied ..

The rules are great ,but this feels wrong so it doesn't feel trivial to me .

Can you give any example in history where this occurred ? Particularly bombards shooting thru (over?) light horse
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Oct 08, 2016 8:46 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I can't even give you a 15th century example of effective use of heavy artillery on an open battlefield.

The formation you're talking about would be useful if I had to walk up to it and take the shooting.

If not then you've spent 20pts creating a no go zone.

If I have to, then I can use something like Elite HC Impact/Bow backed up by LH Jav and through a combination of ZoCs and slides destroy your LH and then pick off the Art.

I reckon the odds wouldn't be far from evens, but the important thing to remember is that it will be my choice whether to take them or not.
Commodore
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Oct 08, 2016 9:42 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Amra a écrit:
Hi Dave ,

Thanks for that . You make some good points .

I think effective range for Scorpions was more like 100 meters but I take your point

Although they can get caught at closer range , LH supporting heavy (8 MU) fire is useful .My Burgundian Ordnance have 2 heavy guns partnered with 2 LH crossbow, every shot the target is 0 and I'm either 1 or usually 2 ( 1LH and 1 Art supporting Arty)
I have plenty of range to skip away and if they charge , they haven't rallied ..

The rules are great ,but this feels wrong so it doesn't feel trivial to me .

Can you give any example in history where this occurred ? Particularly bombards shooting thru (over?) light horse

You may also add two mediocre infantry (crossbow or bow) in support, 4 field fortifications to obtain a 44 points secure position (20 for art, 12 for LH, 10 for bowmen, 4 for FF).
In order to be the more efficient possible, you may afford 10 pts for a strategist to maximize your probabilities to create corridors.
After that, you may wait for an ennemy to come in your field of fire, personnaly, i will prefer to attack on the 2 others wing who have to do the job with the remaining 146 pts.
JohnTheBoring
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Sam Oct 08, 2016 1:50 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ancient artillery effective range was around 400 yards/metres. Actual range was often longer.

Typically it was highly accurate and could therefore fire reliably through gaps in lighter troops. (The Greeks built a repeater, but abandoned the idea as it tended to turn one bloke into an impression of a hedgehog. No spread unlike a machine gun.)

As for gunpowder artillery that was flatter trajectory and inaccurate, but still would be over intervening troops at long range. Perhaps the slow rate of fire meant light troops could work out when not to be standing up and right in front?

Another reason for firing over lights only is other troops would hide the target.
Amra
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Sam Oct 08, 2016 2:06 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks guys , I love that my method has you thinking of tactics !

To which I say "yeah , I've thought of your counters too" Smile Bring on a game and we'll find out Smile

Seriously that kind of fun is partly why we play right ?

My question though , wasn't how you'd counter a tactic but rather does it seem right that the LH help so much ? That their own fire is unaffected by bombards firing through them ?

Sorry John , you'd have to give me your evidence for accuracy . I have always though non-standard size ammunition and the gradual loosening of tension in the onagers ropes meant accurate shooting/range measurement was impossible

Sorry too , but no I don't think ancient light horse yelled "incoming" and jumped out of the way when their mates fired Smile from behind them .Plus that their horses would be OK with it

Can anyone think of a historical example , even using LF and Roman shorter range scorpions ? Or anything for that matter ?

I'll be happy if you can ,I use arty with some of my armies .
fdunadan
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Oct 08, 2016 3:20 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Last year i was Lucky enough to witness in a reconstitution the firing of a roman scorpio:

at about 150 m they aimed and fired at a shield five times in a row, taking some time to reload carefully. The shots were very accurate:

The shield was perforated each time, with 20 to 30 cm of the missile passing forth.
At the same time, an archer tried to hit the target, missing 4 times and hitting the shield once, but the arrow bounced back...

they told me they tried a long range firing (400m and more),by firing with a larger angle, the missile then took a parabolic curve culminating 3 or 4 meter over the ground.
So accuracy and firing over head of light troops seems justified
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Oct 08, 2016 8:44 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
On p 235 of the 3rd edition the author writes that he made artillery more playable vis-à-vis 2nd edition. I don't know what changed but artillery is not over powered they now qualify as something almost worth their point cost.
Amra
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 09, 2016 10:34 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
fdunadan that is awesome !

Re-reading Vegetius the Epitome , he says the same thing BUT he only talks of overhead shooting supporting the heavy infantry attack , not operating with skirmishers . Webster suggest the shooting is done from the flanks . Neither talk about troops in front also adding fire

The Burgundians lost at Nancy due partly to having to move troops out of the way of their cannon,Tannenberg it was archers and cannon side by side , nothing in front ( Delbruck)

I just don't see any evidence for a sophisticated combined arms attack especially one that allows shooting thru /over horses

If its as Hazelbark suggests , just a game mechanism, fair enough but it has no basis in history .You may as well give them lasers or wings

FoG R suffers from armies with massed arty , light foot and cav operating as they never did in history . Id hate ADLG to be the same .
NickW
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 09, 2016 11:26 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I'd really like to see some examples of this in history. I know of no examples where firing with pinpoint accuracy over your light troops was a tactic. Not only that the light troops fire in support and are not even bothered by the huge missiles flying with laser-guided accuracy past their ears.

The same thing happens in FOGR and no one on that forum could provide an historical example. If there are none in early modern or Roman battles it seems unlikely there will be any.

This is meant to be an historical wargame. Inventing tactics to make troops better is simply wrong, if that is the case. If no one uses them and the rules portray them correctly without any artificial fix then the points cost should reduced.

If the absurd case of artillery shooting through light troops who support their fire occurs just 1 game in a 100, that's still too much.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 09, 2016 6:07 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Amra a écrit:

If its as Hazelbark suggests , just a game mechanism...

FoG R suffers from armies with massed arty , light foot and cav operating as they never did in history . Id hate ADLG to be the same .

Having played that in FOGR and tried it in ADLG, it doesn't work in ADLG. The best you can hope for in ADLG is that you soften or weaken a unit or two with artillery.

Now some people have experimented with "trick" defenses behind fortifications and all that. They basically surrender the imitative and lose most games.

Its not decisive. Now if you stop and stand still and do nothing, well ok, you can lose a unit. What I find happening in ADLG is the following situations:

a) Player avoids enemy artillery so the artillery indirectly channels enemy into a different area.
b) Player rushes inadequately defending enemy artillery and kills it and take the position.
c) Player sends an inadequate force to attack enemy artillery that also has an equal sized force defending it with fortifications.
d) Enemy artillery does two hits and then is obscured by closing battle lines for remainder of game.
e) Player see massive enemy fortifications and artillery in a static position. Then moves to side and easily defeats static position.

Everyone I have seen who goes through an experimental artillery phase pretty much moves on after awhile partially because any determined attack kills the artillery.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 09, 2016 6:21 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Amra a écrit:

If its as Hazelbark suggests , just a game mechanism, fair enough but it has no basis in history .You may as well give them lasers or wings

To this I would disagree. First nearly every miniature game fails at history by having too much player control vis-à-vis history. So if you are trying a historical model then you need massive changes. And once you are talking Caesar's legion vs, Aztecs or Samurai then what history are you really talking about anyway? There are host of things about say deployment that are permitted that are massively ahistorical in virtually every rule set.

So from game point of view. And I mean game, variety adds fun. The trick as you are suggesting is does this fun tamper dangerously with history. My view is these are not dangerous effects see my previous post.

You also are taking a very LITERAL view of bases and shooting. Some rule sets bases are exact. It is clear in ADLG that the way lights in particular function they are far more dispersed and one could easily observe that the base represents there center of gravity because there ability to maneuver is very fluid.

History also shows that in same period conflicts artillery was enough of a factor that enemy generals considered how to cope with it. He have reports of that in classical era, china, medieval among others. A game usually last 5-9 turns. Which means artillery is likely to fire for not more than 5 turns. So 10 shots. lets say 75% hit rate, which I think is significantly higher than +1 odds. So if its target just stood there artillery plus its support which is about 7.5% of its army points could kill 8-10% of enemy points. This assumes the enemy stand there like a _____. I find that best case scenario quite unlikely and almost requires both sides to be in a conspiracy to make the artillery effective.

Now I haven't seen any enemy artillery in at least the last 20 games I've played I think. I wouldn't object to seeing it in a few as it adds variety without changing balance.
NickW
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 09, 2016 10:02 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
If artillery can shoot over light troops why can't it shoot over others?

If the artillery is shooting at maximum range and the light troops are 1UD from the enemy, that's clearly not overhead. However, shooting through lights because they are "dispersed" is something I'm not aware of in any period of history.

The tactics of how to use or counter artillery are irrelevant to the discussion, which is about the historical validity of the rule.

Anachronistic battles are not required under the rules. You don't have to play tournaments.
The rules attempt to produce an historical feel. The artillery rules do not.

Dernière édition par NickW le Lun Oct 10, 2016 1:32 am; édité 1 fois
JohnTheBoring
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 09, 2016 10:26 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Amra a écrit:
Sorry John , you'd have to give me your evidence for accuracy . I have always though non-standard size ammunition and the gradual loosening of tension in the onagers ropes meant accurate shooting/range measurement was impossible

I was talking about torsion artillery with sinew springs. Not onagers.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: