Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
charging the flank of a column
Page 1 sur 3 Aller à la page 1, 2, 3  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 18, 2014 11:22 am    Sujet du message: charging the flank of a column Répondre en citant
last night at the club we had this situation:

A 2-base-deep column of cavalry was charged on the flank by a 2-wide unit of enemy cavalry.

As the column of cavalry was 60mm (2x30mm) deep, the flank charging unit (which is 80mm wide, 2x40mm) could only make one legal (corner-to-corner + front edge to side edge) contact on just one of the 2 bases of the column.

The other two bases were touching (front edge to side edge), but this wasn't a legal contact as it is impossible to contact the front corner of the second rank base in the column.

The conforming rules didn't seem to have a mechanic to do what we though sensible - which would be either to fight the combat as if they were conformed, or move the enemy bases around to allow both to end up in contact.

What have we missed, or failed to find in the rules ? (or is forming columns of troops and using them to present your flank to the enemy a valid defensive tactic Twisted Evil )
sebastosfig
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 18, 2014 11:27 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hi Tim. I would say it is legal ans a simple conformation should do the trick.

After the initial round, the defending unit would need to conform to you anyway.

Bear in mind that Herve wanted initially units based on 40*40mm squares, for ease of play, but then, DBM and FOG...

So, yes I think you can do it.

cheers

Seb

http://backtotheminis.blogspot.com
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 18, 2014 1:22 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I think we "thought we could do it" - but we couldn't find it in the rules, despite 3 of us looking for it. Confused

We would like to be able to find where the section is that allows a legal "flank" contact in this charge situation.

This is because if the initial contact (against the 2nd rank in the column) is not defined as a "legal" contact, someone might argue that the 2nd rank element is not "in combat" and so will not need to conform in its turn either...
chris6
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 18, 2014 4:40 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I would deal this situation as a charge where there is no possibility to conform. Somewhere in the rules, dont have them to hand, is written that if the attacker can conform there is still a hth combat and the charged bg will conform in the follwing phase.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 18, 2014 5:41 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
chris6 a écrit:
I would deal this situation as a charge where there is no possibility to conform. Somewhere in the rules, dont have them to hand, is written that if the attacker can conform there is still a hth combat and the charged bg will conform in the follwing phase.

I seem to remember that we found that section ... but I think that it only covered the situation of frontal charges, not flank charges.

If I am right it may need a small clarification?
sebastosfig
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 18, 2014 5:52 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Don't be afraid to ask....

Ok, I'll do it in the French section. Wink

Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
chris6
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 18, 2014 5:57 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Just took a look at the rules, in your example you can do a rear contact to the sec bg in the column. page 51 point rear contact. its just necessary to be partially behind the line extending the backfront of the enemy.

But after reading page 54 point unable to conform 2nd part: if you cant conform correctly in a side charge, there is no combat.... Embarassed

No clue....calling HERVE! Please help....
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 18, 2014 7:19 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
chris6 a écrit:
Just took a look at the rules, in your example you can do a rear contact to the sec bg in the column. page 51 point rear contact. its just necessary to be partially behind the line extending the backfront of the enemy.

But after reading page 54 point unable to conform 2nd part: if you cant conform correctly in a side charge, there is no combat.... Embarassed

No clue....calling HERVE! Please help....

yes - that's what we found too... Embarassed
sebastosfig
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 18, 2014 7:37 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I have the answer!

It had already been discussed in the previous version, and thus clarified in the FAQ.

Here is my post and the answer from Thierry
http://www.artdelaguerre.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?p=57823#57823

So, to be clear: you have the right to do so. You can move the slightly the second cavalry so that both your units can attack them in the flank. It was the official answer then, and nothing has changed.

cheers

seb

papadopp
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 18, 2014 8:48 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks again Seb
We faced the same situation during our last encounter - we're happy we guessed the right way - now we know for sure Cool
chris6
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 19, 2014 9:04 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Well, sometimes Wargamers just think to much about the rules.... Rolling Eyes

Many times the easiest way is the logical way and the best result.

THX for your help!
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 19, 2014 9:32 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
sebastosfig a écrit:
I have the answer!

It had already been discussed in the previous version, and thus clarified in the FAQ.

Here is my post and the answer from Thierry
http://www.artdelaguerre.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?p=57823#57823

So, to be clear: you have the right to do so. You can move the slightly the second cavalry so that both your units can attack them in the flank. It was the official answer then, and nothing has changed.

cheers

seb

Hopefully we can create an English V3.0 FAQ/Clarification sheet soon to include things like this. It woudl be good to announce a plan or intention to publish this, maybe in a couple of months after more issues or corrections have been found?

For a ruleset to have it's clarifications and amendments spread across a number of different messages from the author, often writing in a language that is not English, and with some of the amendments rolling over from a previous version of the rules... well, it all starts to sounds like a ruleseset written by Phil Barker Twisted Evil Laughing
Soranon
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 19, 2014 10:08 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Maybe you can ask to Rosbif for most of point of rules : He is an english player named Paul who live in Toulouse. He is one of the people that help Hervé Caille for the translation. He is a nice guy and a good player too Smile

Paul is my favorite sparring partner and he know the rules better than most of french players (included me). He is an ancient DBM player too...
chris6
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 19, 2014 11:45 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Looks like Rosbif will get an good amount of pm in the follwing month.... Wink
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 21, 2014 5:47 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
madaxeman a écrit:

Hopefully we can create an English V3.0 FAQ/Clarification sheet soon to include things like this. It woudl be good to announce a plan or intention to publish this, maybe in a couple of months after more issues or corrections have been found?

Agreed. This needs to be a priority as we build English speaking player base.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 3 Aller à la page 1, 2, 3  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: