Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
march column and serping
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
elmoro
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 02, 2016 12:52 pm    Sujet du message: march column and serping Répondre en citant
Sunday we had a tournament here in Rome and a question arose.
A player had a very long column of mounted troops. He weeled 90° with the front base. How the other troops behind should be placed?
It seems very strange that the column stayed straight, because there would be a radical change in the position of the last base of the column...
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 02, 2016 7:04 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
p 29 wheeling

see first paragraph and first bullet.

^
wheel to left

<1234

You measure the distance the front corner of 4 moves in a straight line.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 02, 2016 10:23 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The rules say that the formation wheels as a block, but also stipulates that no unit may exceed its maximum movement. This is fine in the given examples where two units wheel through 45 degrees but Elmoro is asking about a much larger formation eg. 6 HI units, wheeling through 90 degrees. Rules As Written (RAW) this would result in the leading unit moving 1/2 UD to one side. They cannot be moved as a block with the other units stretched out in a block to it's rear, as the rearmost unit would have galloped ~4 UD forward contrary to the prohibition on exceeding the unit's movement capacity.

Personally I tend to leave the units shuffling forwards wheeling some to the appropriate side and touching on the inside of the wheel. But Elmoro is asking if this is correct or whether there is another solution, perhaps by having the rear part of the column sliding 1/2 UD in the opposite direction (which would allow the positioning one or more units directly behind the leading unit).

Thoughts?
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 02, 2016 11:01 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The rules are clear

the front can only wheel what the rear units front corner moves. So the longer the column the less possible the wheel can be.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 02, 2016 11:20 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
So if I have understood you correctly, you are suggesting that the head of the column is displaced to one side by it's movement capacity (2UD for HI) while the rear unit is moved forward by the allowance effectively rotating the entire column while keeping it as a single block.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 02, 2016 11:28 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:
Elmoro is asking about a much larger formation eg. 6 HI units, wheeling through 90 degrees. Rules As Written (RAW) this would result in the leading unit moving 1/2 UD to one side. They cannot be moved as a block with the other units stretched out in a block to it's rear, as the rearmost unit would have galloped ~4 UD forward contrary to the prohibition on exceeding the unit's movement capacity.

My thanks to my High School Math teachers particularly My Chrystal who warned me someday it would come in handy. (that's actually been true many times.)
6 HI counting to the front edge of to the 6th unit is 150mm.
Since the column will be 150mm in its new position.
We also know the maximum move for H is 80mm (1 UD = 40mm)
So we have a triangle of 80x150x150. Which creates an angle of 30 degrees. Checking my math online its closer to 31 degrees.

So that column can only wheel its front 31 degrees because of its length.

The alternative answer for the math challenged is, "get out of column are you daft the enemy approaches."

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: