Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
FAQ query on charge move of a group
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Ven Fév 23, 2018 12:04 pm    Sujet du message: FAQ query on charge move of a group Répondre en citant
I see an issue with the new FAQ "The Charge move of a group, some part which is not within range of the enemy"

In this picture the group including units A and B charge the group including unit C. B contacts C (and the units immediately next to these are also in contact). Unit A does not contact even if moved its full extent. Because it hasn't contacted it cannot conform to become a supporting unit.

If unit B used its entire movement allowance to contact then A and B would be a group at contact. Previously A would have conformed as part of that group to become a supporting unit. Now it does not as its not in contact with enemy.

It seems unfair that units can be placed to deny the enemy support in this way simply by positioning at an angle to the enemy. I would like to see a rule that units who do not contact enemy can still conform if
1. Their movement takes them past the front edge of the target group, and
2. They are adjacent to another unit of the charging group already allowed to conform.
I think that conforming would have to ignore effects of ZOC's (but open to argument).
This would allow end units of the group to maintain coherence with those that contact, and stop the nasty possibility of using angled single units to break enemy formations.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Nightingale87
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Ven Fév 23, 2018 1:38 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I´m editing my previous comment. I´ve just read the new FAQs. Well. Then they can´t get into contact. It´s not wrong from a representation perspective. Oblique move was performed to stall the enemy and avoid contact all along the line. THough it was hard to execute.

But I would wait for a wiser answer.
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 24, 2018 7:52 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
What stops A from stopping when B first contacts then conforms with B anyway.ie your no 2 anyway.
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 24, 2018 8:08 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Citation:
What stops A from stopping when B first contacts then conforms with B anyway.ie your no 2 anyway.

The new FAQ states only those units in contact with enemy conform. Unit A is never in contact with enemy.
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 24, 2018 12:57 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Another query.

Here the group A-D charges straight froward. Units A-C contact enemy so no question that they will conform, with A becoming a supporting unit. What about D? It hasn't contacted enemy so does it conform and ecome a supporting unit or not?
plefebvre
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 24, 2018 4:09 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:
Another query.

Here the group A-D charges straight froward. Units A-C contact enemy so no question that they will conform, with A becoming a supporting unit. What about D? It hasn't contacted enemy so does it conform and ecome a supporting unit or not?

All the group conforms so D will end in a support position.

The FAQ doesn't change anything in the rule. It answers the question raised on the british forum : " how to do when only a part of a group is in range to contact and enter in melée ?"

So you are making a confusion , remember the wording of the FAQ " ..... but only those units that are within charge range will be able to contact the enemy and then conform to enter melee

The technical board

"sic transit gloria mundi"

Dernière édition par plefebvre le Sam Fév 24, 2018 4:55 pm; édité 1 fois
plefebvre
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 24, 2018 4:32 pm    Sujet du message: Re: FAQ query on charge move of a group Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:
I see an issue with the new FAQ "The Charge move of a group, some part which is not within range of the enemy"

In this picture the group including units A and B charge the group including unit C. B contacts C (and the units immediately next to these are also in contact). Unit A does not contact even if moved its full extent. Because it hasn't contacted it cannot conform to become a supporting unit.

If unit B used its entire movement allowance to contact then A and B would be a group at contact. Previously A would have conformed as part of that group to become a supporting unit. Now it does not as its not in contact with enemy.

It seems unfair that units can be placed to deny the enemy support in this way simply by positioning at an angle to the enemy. I would like to see a rule that units who do not contact enemy can still conform if
1. Their movement takes them past the front edge of the target group, and
2. They are adjacent to another unit of the charging group already allowed to conform.
I think that conforming would have to ignore effects of ZOC's (but open to argument).
This would allow end units of the group to maintain coherence with those that contact, and stop the nasty possibility of using angled single units to break enemy formations.

There is no problem. In such a situation the attacking group stops its charge when B contacts C . Then all the unit which have the distance capacity conform. A remains part of the group so it will end in a support position against C. The unit at the right of B is initialy at charge range so it can enter in melée with the unit right of C. Perhaps its neighbouring friend unit can also conform to provide support , if the distance doesnt exceed its move capacity (conformation sliding except). But i am not able to assess this possibility on the picture.

There is no change in the rule . The FAQ is just explaining how to do when only a part of a group is within charge range.

The technical board

"sic transit gloria mundi"
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 24, 2018 5:44 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Citation:
There is no problem. In such a situation the attacking group stops its charge when B contacts C . Then all the unit which have the distance capacity conform. A remains part of the group so it will end in a support position against C. The unit at the right of B is initialy at charge range so it can enter in melée with the unit right of C. Perhaps its neighbouring friend unit can also conform to provide support , if the distance doesnt exceed its move capacity (conformation sliding except). But i am not able to assess this possibility on the picture.

There is no change in the rule . The FAQ is just explaining how to do when only a part of a group is within charge range.

I wonder if this is a translation problem. The FAQ does not say
Citation:
then all the unit which have the distance capacity conform

The FAQ says the sequence is
Citation:
When the units in charge range have contacted the enemy, the other units in the group apply the rule for continuing a charge described on page 36

and then
Citation:
Units that have contacted the enemy conform

Unit A can continue its charge but it never contacts enemy. I don't see how the FAQ can be read in any other way.

Sorry if you feel I'm being awkward but if this came up in a tournament it could make a major difference.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 24, 2018 6:21 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Alan, the diagram in the FAQ has four units charging, two of which have reached the end of their movement capacity. These units may not ‘conform’ by wheeling forwards because that would exceed their movement capacity. (Cf the bottom p52, top p53). This is what the FAQ covers.

Here, in your diagram A can be conformed slightly backwards to line up with B since that is effectively reducing the distance the unit has actually moved, so the group stays intact with A in support to B, and this is true even if A is Impetuous!. 

Remember that conformation is only an adjustment mechanism so we have a fairly free hand in what is allowed. And that each unit beng conformed can be moved up to 1UD by sliding and or pivoting. 
I hope that makes more sense. 
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 24, 2018 6:36 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks, that does make more sense. So as I now understand it a unit may conform if it has the movement distance to do so.
Nightingale87
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 24, 2018 6:58 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
No. A unit may conform if it has contacted the enemy. Or is part of a group who has contacted the enemy. But cannot reach an enemy with that conformation if it was out of reach before it started moving.
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 24, 2018 7:26 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Citation:
No. A unit may conform if it has contacted the enemy. Or is part of a group who has contacted the enemy. But cannot reach an enemy with that conformation if it was out of reach before it started moving.

I think we're saying the same thing. To re-state - a unit must have sufficient movement to reach a contact (at which point it can conform) or sufficient movement to reach another conforming position.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: