Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Confroming during a charge
Page 2 sur 3 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2, 3  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Jan 03, 2020 1:36 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:

However, if we ignore all other units and just consider the situation between 3 and D, the key question is whether D and 3 are mutually ZoCed if they will make corner contact, or not. 

The answer is “Yes it is ZoCedâ€.

The rules disagree with this.

So you look at how the ZOC is applied on p33. 4th paragraph.
Dropping a notional 1 UD square directly in front of a unit.
"if the marker merely touches the unit's base then the unit is not in the ZoC"
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Jan 03, 2020 1:42 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
harryKonst a écrit:
Take a look at the FAQ page 7. Sliding in a Zone Control. Now Steve you can slide anyway since you still contact the most threatening enemy. So, no problem. Also correct the rule on page 28 of your book.

You are correct.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Jan 04, 2020 1:38 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hazelbark a écrit:
Ramses II a écrit:

However, if we ignore all other units and just consider the situation between 3 and D, the key question is whether D and 3 are mutually ZoCed if they will make corner contact, or not. 

The answer is “Yes it is ZoCedâ€.

The rules disagree with this.

So you look at how the ZOC is applied on p33. 4th paragraph.
Dropping a notional 1 UD square directly in front of a unit.
"if the marker merely touches the unit's base then the unit is not in the ZoC"
While that definition does indeed cover the depth of the ZoC (and is reinforced by other parts of the rules), IMO there is a degree of ambiguity over the width of the ZoC as I have tried to explain. Basically, if a unit is required to stop and conform when advancing into corner to corner contact, I suggest that it can be deemed to be ‘on the edge’ of the ZoC; put another way, while the front edge of the ZoC is exclusive, the sides may be considered to be inclusive, as defined by the rules and FAQ . . .  

But this needs to be clarified. 
harryKonst
Archer

MessagePosté le: Dim Jan 05, 2020 12:05 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
RamsesII, you have to be convinced about the width of the ZoC, to understand the system better. The side edges of the square that represents the ZoC are the same as the front edge of the square. Any unit touching them is considered to be outside of the ZoC. Go to the FAQ my friend, that has the title ''Conformation after contact with units that are at right angles'' and read example 1 and 2. On example 1, B1 contacts the right corner of unit A2 and conforms (because of the definition of charge, and although being in contact with the front edge of the Zoc's square of A1 unit, it is still considers to be outside its ZoC) BUT on example 2 the B1 enters (as the clarification tell us) the Zocs af A1 and A2 AT THE SAME TIME and so it conforms to the most threatening enemy which is A1. You realize of course that the only way to enter simultaneously the Zocs of A1 and A2 is if the side edge of the Zoc's square of A2 is also consider to be outside A2's ZoC.
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Dim Jan 05, 2020 5:07 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Since my first post I've been persuaded by this thread that group 123 charge group 456, and the corner contact on 7 is ignored.

I don't agree with Ramses' argument that contact with the edge of a ZOC is the same as being ZOC'd. If that were so (in the diagram below) unit A would suffer movement restrictions for being ZOC'd by unit Z, even though neither are in front of the other. That would be a major change to how we play.

XXYYZZ
...........AABBCC
Rafa Tortosa
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Mer Jan 08, 2020 2:00 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Please,
Next week a lot of impetuous troops will charge in Alicante's tournament, please, is possible confirm this rule?
Thanks!
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Jan 09, 2020 2:20 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
When in doubt, I recommend checking with the tournament referee beforehand, or at least agreeing with each opponent before the game, just how any potentially contentious areas like this will be played. 
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Jan 09, 2020 2:40 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:
Since my first post I've been persuaded by this thread that group 123 charge group 456, and the corner contact on 7 is ignored.
P36 Charge specifically states that the charging unit stops moving when it makes contact even if that is only corner to corner. 

Citation:
  I don't agree with Ramses' argument that contact with the edge of a ZOC is the same as being ZOC'd. If that were so (in the diagram below) unit A would suffer movement restrictions for being ZOC'd by unit Z, even though neither are in front of the other. That would be a major change to how we play.

XXYYZZ
...........AABBCC
I totally understand this perspective, and it is certainly the way most people play as well. I have also been at pains to explain that this argument is derived from the above concept where the initial contact is corner to corner; since this results in the charging unit conforming on the front edge of the enemy, this raises the implication over the definition of the ZoC. 

However until we get a definitive statement, I suggest that we continue to treat all sides of the ZoC as “exclusiveâ€, thus in your diagram A and Z are not mutually ZoCed (though they would conform on each other after a charge).
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Jeu Jan 09, 2020 3:11 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:
AlanCutner a écrit:
P36 Charge specifically states that the charging unit stops moving when it makes contact even if that is only corner to corner. 

The logical conclusions of your argument would then be
1. Unit 3 is in the ZOC of unit 6, and unit 6 is the most threatening enemy. Therefore unit 3 cannot charge anything other than unit 6.
2. If unit 3 contacts the corner of unit 7, this would cause combat with unit 7. But from point 1 that would be illegal.
3. Therefore unit 3 cannot charge either unit 6 or unit 7. Its only options are to halt, advance to a position short of contact with unit 7, or to withdraw from ZOC.

I would hate this to be the way we have to play this though, so for playability I prefer 123 vs 456.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Jan 09, 2020 4:50 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:

However until we get a definitive statement, I suggest that we continue to treat all sides of the ZoC as “exclusiveâ€, thus in your diagram A and Z are not mutually ZoCed (though they would conform on each other after a charge).

We have a definitive statement. Its called the rules. They are absolutely clear on this point. I get you feel a different philosophy on how to look at the issues that you feel would make things easier. However that is not the rules.
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Jeu Jan 09, 2020 7:25 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Unit 3 is NOT within unit 7's ZoC at the start of the move. If unit 6 was not present, 3 would be able to make an ordinary move along the side of 7 ending with a quarter turn to face 7's flank. I doubt anyone would argue that 3's movement had to stop just because it's front corner "brushed" the front corner of 7. Perhaps they'd say unit 6 had to slide a gnat's todger away from 7 before making an ordinary move to avoid front corner to corner contact?

RAW page 51 Types of Contact - Front contact. "An attacking unit can contact the front edge of an enemy if it begins its movement with its front edge either entirely or partially in front of the straight line extending the enemy's front edge." The FAQ page 9 example 1 appears to modify this to say that contact on a front corner is also a permissible charge, albeit in a situation where the charger is trying to pass through a 1 UD wide gap. The FAQ examples do not illustrate a situation where the charger is already within an enemy ZoC (which is a key point of this discussion).

Unit 3 can't slide because it is within unit 6's ZoC. Unit 6 is the most threatening enemy to unit 3; unit 7 doesn't meet the "most threatening" definition n FAQ page 5, so there is no need to try and break the ZoC tie between units 6 & 7.

If unit 3 is impetuous it MUST charge unit 6 (ignoring passing "contact" with unit 7's front corner). This leaves unit 7 able to charge unit 3's flank in its turn. This is the wheeze that SteveR was questioning in his OP.

So the question remains: where a charger is ZoC'd by enemy A, and during its charge it touches the corner of enemy B, does it conform with B or carry on into A?
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Jan 10, 2020 2:09 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ok guys, lets ignore my "red herring" on ZoC and return to the initial question. To recap;
We have two 'perfectly aligned' lines where there is an advanced unit on one side. What happens when group 1-3 charges A-C?

. . . . . .DD
AABBCC

The process in the rules is:-
  1. Group 1-3 advances into corner contact with D and stops.
    (P36 charge definition 1st para and note (a) below.)

2. Unit 3 conforms on D.
    • This is defined as a 'front contact' (p51) causing it to slide right.
    • The player may choose to slide the entire group putting both 2 & 3 into contact with D.
      (see p53 2nd para, the discussion in Continuing a charge and note (b) below)

3. Unit 1 may (must if it is Impetuous) continue to charge into B.
    (p36 continuing a charge)

NOTES
  1. Irrespective of the fact that A-C are defined as 'the most threatening unit' to 1-3, The charging unit MUST conform on the first unit it contacts. The FAQ also illustrates this situation while raising another variation (p19 example 1, conforming after contact with units at right angles) . In this example, B1 must conform on A2 even though 'the most threatening unit' A1 is the initial target of the charge.
  2. I am advised that conformation occurs before continuing a charge, which was the implied question of this thread. So NO, group 1-3 does NOT ignore D while charging and conforming.
  3. ZoCs may inhibit conformation in some instances (eg. flank contact), but not in this case. Indeed the rules show that conformation may cause a unit to leave an enemy ZoC involuntarily (p54 1st diag), and green note at bottom of exiting a ZoC, p34.
  4. Where the two lines are more than 1UD apart, group 1-3 could slide slightly left to avoid the contact with D, but if they are within 1UD of each other, units 1-3 and A-C are mutually ZoCed so may not slide.
  5. As an alternative,
    • The player may choose to conform only unit 3 on D (p53 2nd para) allowing 1 & 2 to continue into A & B
    • Unit 3 could charge in isolation, conforming on D as before, allowing units 1 & 2 to charge separately.
  6. Given the intention behind this tactic to dilute an attack together with the potential for disagreements, I would recommend that when D is moved forwards, this intention is declared and discussed.

Dernière édition par Ramses II le Ven Jan 10, 2020 2:49 pm; édité 2 fois
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Jan 10, 2020 3:45 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
That makes sense.

I wuld add that if this was ever used "against" me in a game "as a tactic" to "dilute" an attack (rather than occurring by accident/chance and then leaving both players puzzled as to what to do) I would probably take rather a dim view of my opponent.
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Ven Jan 10, 2020 4:30 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I can't help but feel this is a tactic with the same 'likeability' of the DBM 'kinked lines' tactic. If allowed it will be done.

However there is a flaw in the argument put forward by Ramses. FAQ p19 example 1 does indeed show the charger conforming to the first enemy contacted. But at that point it has not entered the ZOC of the enemy to its front, therefore restrictions from 'most threatening enemy' do not apply.

I still think units 1-3 contact units A-C if they are within their ZOC at point of contact with unit D. And even if there is any rules uncertainty over this it should still be the case to prevent a nasty rules loophole being used to inhibit contact. It was things like this that helped kill DBM.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Jan 10, 2020 4:55 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:
I still think units 1-3 contact units A-C if they are within their ZOC at point of contact with unit D.
Sorry Alan, but unit 3 must conform, even if within an enemy ZoC. See Note c above.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 2 sur 3 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2, 3  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: