Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Wheels of change?
Page 1 sur 3 Aller à la page 1, 2, 3  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Sam Juin 19, 2021 10:45 pm    Sujet du message: Wheels of change? Répondre en citant
My flank command has been screened by light troops so it wheels to face the middle ground.
I pivot my four Hi spear so their outer end goes 2 UD while the two bowmen on the outer end goes 3 UD. Been doing this for years under v3 , so happy to find same rule p31 bullet point 2 . No one exceeded there own max speed.

Am I no longer able to wheel so fast under bullet point 4?

Am I mistaken?
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Dim Juin 20, 2021 4:25 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Sorry no you cannot do it.

Page 31 bullet 4 - all units in a group count as having moved the distance of the outermost front corner. So the HI spear count as having moved 3 UD.

I actually think this was not allowed under V3 either...

However remember if the group was more than 4 UD from all enemies of course.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Dim Juin 20, 2021 8:25 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Also under General rules p29 Bp4 they can!

P29 and 32 bp2 are exactly as v3 had it.
P32 bp4 is the new spanner in the works.

What is the point of writing both variants.?
One should be deleted as they contradict unless anyone can explain why/when they don't.
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Dim Juin 20, 2021 1:31 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I don't see a conflict here. P29 all units in the group can move up to their maximum distance, but (p31) all count as moving the distance of the outermost unit. So a group of Sp with a bw on the end can have the Bw wheel 3UD as long as no Sp moves more than 2UD. The main impact of this is for unmanouverable units - no unit in the group counts as moving less than maximum speed.
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Juin 20, 2021 1:38 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:
I don't see a conflict here. P29 all units in the group can move up to their maximum distance, but (p31) all count as moving the distance of the outermost unit. So a group of Sp with a bw on the end can have the Bw wheel 3UD as long as no Sp moves more than 2UD. The main impact of this is for unmanouverable units - no unit in the group counts as moving less than maximum speed.

Yep... agreed. The magic words I suspect are "count as" in that bullet point.

As long as no units exceeds it's normal movement distance in the real world on the real tabletop, you can wheel exactly as before. OK, you'll "count as" moving the same distance as the outside one, but you won't actually have exceeded your movement allowance.

The only thing that this then impacts is - as Alan says - unmaneuverable units all moving full speed.

Clever wording Smile
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Dim Juin 20, 2021 1:39 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Alan
Does the spear not cout as moving 3 UD because the bow did?
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Dim Juin 20, 2021 1:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Citation:
Does the spear not cost as moving 3 UD because the bow did?

It 'counts' as moving 3UD, but does not actually move 3UD. Pretty much as Tim said. A game mechanism.
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Dim Juin 20, 2021 3:19 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
So are we happy to ignore bp4 because it adds nothing to the rules?
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Dim Juin 20, 2021 5:57 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Not quite. P31 bullet 4 is very important for unmanouverable troops. Means a wheel is just 1CP rather than 2CP if the outermost point moves at full speed. But probably not much effect otherwise.
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Dim Juin 20, 2021 6:13 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
That was okay under v3 so still puzzled as to why the additional BP
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Juin 21, 2021 9:33 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Dickstick a écrit:
I pivot my four Hi spear so their outer end goes 2 UD while the two bowmen on the outer end goes 3 UD.

This set me thinking (one of the delights of being retired). Is this geometrically correct and are there other cases? The answers are yes and no (ish) respectively. Here's the maths:

I couldn't find another case (for six wide) where a full move by the HI (c) resulted in an outside move (d) divisible by 4 cm so this looks like a special case. It will of course work for three wide (2HI + 1Bw).

Great fun! I haven't done real trigonometry for decades.
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Juin 21, 2021 4:05 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
vexillia a écrit:
I couldn't find another case (for six wide) where a full move by the HI (c) resulted in an outside move (d) divisible by 4 cm so this looks like a special case.

I was wrong! A combination of 3HI & 3Cv also allows the outside unit to move full after the HI have moved 8 cm. There are other combinations too.
Longtooth
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Juin 21, 2021 6:46 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
......except that HI and Cav cannot form a group Smile
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Juin 21, 2021 6:52 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Longtooth a écrit:
......except that HI and Cav cannot form a group Smile

And that's the trouble with trigonometry. Smile
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mar Juin 22, 2021 8:45 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Back on topic. Consider the reverse situation to the OP:
  • A line on 4Kn with 1 Cv or LH on the right making a 5 wide group.
  • The group wheels to the left.
  • To ensure the right most Kn moves exactly 3 UD the Cv (or LH) must move 3.8 UD
  • End result: the rightmost Kn has moved full (3 UD) but the Cv (or LH) have not.

So using the "Madaxeman interpretation" above:
  • All the Kn "counts as" moving 3.8 UD.
  • This doesn't matter as, on the table, none of the Kn exceeded their 3 UD move distance.
  • The Kn "counts as" moving their full move (3.8 > 3.0 UD).
  • As a consequence the Kn do not suffer any penalties for moving short.

Have I got this right or do I have to invoke the Liverpool Variation?

Dernière édition par vexillia le Mar Juin 22, 2021 9:03 am; édité 2 fois
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 3 Aller à la page 1, 2, 3  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: