Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Conforming from side by side
Page 1 sur 3 Aller à la page 1, 2, 3  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
JohnTheBoring
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Ven Juin 03, 2022 3:55 pm    Sujet du message: Conforming from side by side Répondre en citant
Sorry if this was previously addressed but I could not find it.

A light chariot is side by side with a bowman which has no opponent. Another bowman partly behind the first has the chariot in its ZOC. It is the chariots turn.

The chariot could charge the other bowman, but if not it has to conform or move away? It cannot turn on the bowman because of the ZOC. What happens?

As it is a light chariot it could evade away?

What if it was not a unit that can evade? How does it conform or move?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Juin 03, 2022 5:44 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
So the ZOC overrides the conform requirement.

So the LCH (or any unit) has two options if it moves. 1: charge the unit that ZOC it is in; 2: move way in some legal way.

So the LCH can move away which is adjudicated like an evade. (under p37 exiting a ZOC)

If the Bow was the moving unit and it tuned onto the LCH then the LCH could evade. (p 51, right column 3rd bullet)

Now back to the LCH, let say it is an HCH. it could charge or "exit a Zoc" p 37

So overall in this situation if your unit acts, it must charge or move away.
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Ven Juin 03, 2022 6:16 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
There is a big argument on FB whether the LCh could stay in place.
JohnTheBoring
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Ven Juin 03, 2022 8:37 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hazelbark a écrit:
So the ZOC overrides the conform requirement......

Now back to the LCH, let say it is an HCH. it could charge or "exit a Zoc" p 37

So overall in this situation if your unit acts, it must charge or move away.

OK page 37 says 2CP can be paid for a unit that cannot evade to move backwards.
- and if there are not 2CP available? Is it forced to charge?
- what about if it is pikemen who are a base width deep, and move back 1, in this situation they remain in front corner to corner and not allowed?

I can understand why there is a big argument on Facebook.

(Actually in the game the bowman behind was not square on so I suppose the chariot could have moved forward and wheeled to align to break contact. An option not always available.)
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Juin 03, 2022 11:02 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
FB people like to argue. There are some people who like to stir the pot.

You seem to have a good handle on the movement options.

I think your question comes down to: are you required to spend a CP to take action..

There will be a formal opinion on this. For now assume you are not required to move via CP. If you do then everything we talked about. There is a related ruling that agrees with what i have said here. We will get it formalized...in the fullness of time.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Juin 04, 2022 1:03 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hazelbark is correct. 
When a unit is in contact with an unengaged enemy unit which it is not actually fighting (ie by a corner, flank or rear), the unit must either conform with that enemy, charge a different enemy or move away. 

These choices are further constrained where the unit is also in an enemy ZoC; basically it must charge the ZoCing enemy or exit that ZoC (moving away from both enemy units) - it may no longer conform. 
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Sam Juin 04, 2022 7:24 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:
These choices are further constrained where the unit is also in an enemy ZoC; basically it must charge the ZoCing enemy or exit that ZoC (moving away from both enemy units) - it may no longer conform. 

Discussion has been focussed around the “further constraints†aspect.

If the enemy is ZoCing from the unit’s flank, and the unit’s commander has no CP, can the ZoCd unit do nothing and simply remain in unconformed corner to corner contact?
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Sam Juin 04, 2022 7:51 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The question revolves around the "Conforming units already in contact" on page 51 and the "Movements allowed in a ZoC" on pages 35-6, and what happens when a unit in contact is also in a ZoC.

There are two conflicting ideas:

1. The ZoC rules "take precedence" (page 51) and therefore the ZoC rules replace the conformance restrictions. In particular, the ZoC rules allow the unit to stay in place, and therefore the player would never be forced to spend CPs moving the unit if they so choose.

2. The ZoC rules "take precedence" and therefore any action must meet the ZoC rules, and then if you "can" also obey the conformance restrictions. Thus, a unit can only stay in place (allowed by the ZoC rules, prohibited by the conformance rules) if it cannot do something else - thereby forcing the player to reserve CPs for a move if possible.

I find the atmosphere on FB different than here on the forum. I thought the argument there was boisterous but constructive.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Juin 04, 2022 8:18 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Really good question. 
Conformation costs nothing, so in normal circumstances the player can always fall back on this choice.
However, if this option is removed, the player will usually have to spend CP to move the ZoCed unit, unless it can charge the ZoCing unit ‘for free’ (being impetuous or having the ZoCing unit in its own ZoC). 

Bottom line, is the player compelled to spend CP in this situation (as a commander will always start his movement with at least 1CP plus his own CP) ??

I would say that RAW, he is compelled, though this would need to be confirmed. 
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Sam Juin 04, 2022 8:26 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:
I would say that RAW, he is compelled, though this would need to be confirmed. 

And this is the nub of the much-vexed part of the discussion. If I have that 1CP needed to move away (since I can’t conform due to the ZoC), must I use that CP to resolve this situation “if at all possible†(p.51)?

Or can I first spend the 1CP elsewhere in the corps and cry in my soup that now I must leave my ZoCd unit in unresolved corner to corner contact?
JohnTheBoring
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Sam Juin 04, 2022 9:19 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I await the judgement of those who wrote the rules, and sometimes have to tidy up afterwards!
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Juin 04, 2022 9:31 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Like I said, the player starts with at least 1CP (+ the commander’s), so RAW it seems he can “move away if at all possibleâ€, and is therefore compelled to use 1CP on the affected unit. 

Note, this is less of an issue if the unit has a “free†charge available, or if the unit has the commander attached. 

However, this is another edge case where a (fairly rare) set of particular circumstances force a player to do something he does not wish to.
Oh dear - move on
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Sam Juin 04, 2022 9:49 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
What about the top right diagram on page 51 which allows a unit (A1) in corner to corner contact with one enemy unit (B1) to “stay in place†because it is ZOCed by another enemy unit (B2)?

This is almost exactly the same situation (corner instead of side edge contact), yet it does not have to spend a CP but can choose to “stay in placeâ€.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Juin 04, 2022 11:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
And this is where the rules are currently ambiguous; 
  • The 2nd paragraph states that the phasing player should resolve all situations where there are units in contact, “if at all possibleâ€
  • the diagram states that conformation is not possible, so “A1 may charge B2 or stay in placeâ€. 
Bearing in mind that this aspect of Conformation (resolving such contacts) is new in V4, I suggest the wording in the diagram is incorrect; it is just illustrating a situation where A1 may not conform, though A1 may charge for free (which allows the player to spend his CP elsewhere  Very Happy)

I will raise this with El Kreator. 
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Dim Juin 05, 2022 1:16 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:
And this is where the rules are currently ambiguous; 
  • The 2nd paragraph states that the phasing player should resolve all situations where there are units in contact, “if at all possibleâ€
  • the diagram states that conformation is not possible, so “A1 may charge B2 or stay in placeâ€. 
Bearing in mind that this aspect of Conformation (resolving such contacts) is new in V4, I suggest the wording in the diagram is incorrect; it is just illustrating a situation where A1 may not conform, though A1 may charge for free (which allows the player to spend his CP elsewhere  Very Happy)

I will raise this with El Kreator. 

To be fair, others have indicated that they have already raised this with EK, as this "discussion" has been going on for over a week. And it appears to relate to an "edge case" that has arisen on at least 2 occasions over the past year (usual suspects involved, natch) with the example being subsequently raised via FB/this forum.

I too am of the view that the p.51 wording "if at all possible" implies an obligation to spend any available CP on addressing this corner to corner contact situation ahead of using the CP for other moves/activities. Others counter that the ADLG rule set never "forces" any commander to spend CP, or spend them in a particular order of priority.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 3 Aller à la page 1, 2, 3  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: