Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Making room for pursuits
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Lun Juil 25, 2022 12:28 am    Sujet du message: Making room for pursuits Répondre en citant
If you need to shift friendly units to be able to pursue, can you do so, or is the unit not allowed to pursue in that case.

For example if you destroy a HI or Mounted from the flank and rear, then the unit in the rear will be in the way of the unit on the flank pursuing. Can you shift the unit in the rear back to make room for the flank unit to pursue? Does it matter if the flank unit is impetuous or an elephant or the rear unit is lights?

I couldn’t see anything allowing shifts in such cases so I assume if friends block your path, you cannot pursue. No?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Juil 25, 2022 8:48 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
YES
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Lun Juil 25, 2022 9:45 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
lionelrus a écrit:
YES

Is that a yes to the first question, or the last question or to all five questions? Laughing

Dave Rolling Eyes
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Lun Juil 25, 2022 12:49 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
lionelrus a écrit:
YES

Are you saying that the blocked unit can choose to pursue, but then makes a zero distance move as it is immediately blocked. (This might be considered consistent with cases where a unit pursues a reduced distance until it is blocked).

Alternatively the blocked unit cannot choose to pursue, and so the other unit will be forced to do so if impetuous.
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Lun Juil 25, 2022 1:27 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
There is no provision in the Pursuit rule for friendly units to be shifted by the pursuing unit.

A partial exception to this would be where the pursuing unit contacts new enemy and has to conform, but there any shifting happens as a consequence of the Conformation rule.

Another would be if either of the victorious units was LI. Then a full distance pursuit with interpenetration would be possible and any shifting necessary would be under the Interpenetration rule.

To answer Mike's question - I'd say that remaining stationary can't be a pursuit move so if the unit in the rear was impetuous it must pursue (unless it was foot and the routers were mounted, obvs). Nice try though Cool

Dave
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Juil 25, 2022 2:43 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
daveallen a écrit:
lionelrus a écrit:
YES

Is that a yes to the first question, or the last question or to all five questions? Laughing

Dave Rolling Eyes

NO!
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Lun Juil 25, 2022 2:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Is more than one question at a time too much for you lionel,?
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Lun Juil 25, 2022 5:42 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I understood that if two units were contacted by a flank charge the rear unit was immediately moved backward so the front of each unit was 1 UD apart. In which case there would be no obstacle to a pursuit. See 'Columns attacked from flank' P54

Eg HI units X and Y in column facing right, contacted to flank by unit A
_XXXYYY
_XXXYYY
_XXXYYY
_XXXYYY
___AAAA
___AAAA
___AAAA

becomes
XXX_YYY
XXX_YYY
XXX_YYY
XXX_YYY
___AAAA
___AAAA
___AAAA
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Lun Juil 25, 2022 6:33 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Alan, you wouldn’t happen to know where in the rules this is coming from, do you?

All I’m aware of is the errata to p54 which is about two units hitting one enemy in both flanks shift forward to maintain contact as the enemy confirms to the primary flank attack.

Special conformation (page 54)
There is another specific case when a unit is attacked on both flanks and have to conform:
(Snip diagram I couldn’t copy)
A is conforming on 1
2 is moved to stay in contact with A
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Lun Juil 25, 2022 6:59 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
KevinD a écrit:
Alan, you wouldn’t happen to know where in the rules this is coming from, do you?

All I’m aware of is the errata to p54 which is about two units hitting one enemy in both flanks shift forward to maintain contact as the enemy confirms to the primary flank attack.

Special conformation (page 54)
There is another specific case when a unit is attacked on both flanks and have to conform:
(Snip diagram I couldn’t copy)
A is conforming on 1
2 is moved to stay in contact with A

The diagram on P54 is pretty clear. A column attacked on its flank spreads its units out as if each unit is on a 1UD base. Consequently if a unit dies the pursuit can proceed without any further shifting.

The errata is all about the special case of a flank attack on both sides.
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Lun Juil 25, 2022 7:25 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I agree if the enemy is in column - an enemy could not then block your pursuit.

But what about if the unit behind the enemy was a friend? Does it move back like an enemy attached in column would?
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Lun Juil 25, 2022 7:34 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Nice catch, Alan.

It will depend on which attacker is the main unit in the melee.

If the flanker is first to make contact then as the rout happens the routing unit will be turned 90° before it routs and pushes the melee support in its rear back to corner to corner contact with the flanking unit.

If the rear unit is the main unit this won't happen.

Dave

Dernière édition par daveallen le Sam Juil 30, 2022 6:19 am; édité 1 fois
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Juil 25, 2022 7:56 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Dickstick a écrit:
Is more than one question at a time too much for you lionel,?

usualy, one question is too much for me, regarding the low level of interrest.....
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Juil 25, 2022 9:52 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I assume, as a practical matter, pursuit is used to break into an enemy line, in preparation for turning to the flank next turn. Pursuit from a flank or rear has pretty much already acheived that.

There are no rules about shifting for pursuit, so at best this seems to be a request for a change.
Brave Coeur
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Juil 26, 2022 7:41 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I would like to add, that the pursuit move is the result of a continuous fight. As a consequence of that, the next fight of our pusuing unit is not considered a new fight (ie no impact, jav, etc...) for the next melee phase.

In that spirit, the pursuit move done during the rout phase should be considered as a continuous move also. And any melee supporting unit should also be intermingled or pushed or following or making room during that fight (who knows what happen in a melle, it is just a simulation). So in that situation and in that state of mind I would allow the flanking unit to pursuit and of course, to push back the rear unit in the path, actually an ENY one like in the column of Alan, or a friendly one like in our Kevin case.

Be aware that if Hervé had decided to put all our units on a UDxUD square like it was it is intent at the begining, that situation neither happened.

Hope to be helpfull.
Brave Coeur...

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: