Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Rallying and Compulsory Conformation
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Ven Sep 16, 2022 6:05 pm    Sujet du message: Rallying and Compulsory Conformation Répondre en citant
This question arose in a game yesterday. Can a unit which must conform in its turn also rally?

A unit had been charged in the flank and lost a CP in melee. In its turn the unit must conform. Does that prevent it from rallying?

The rule:
Citation:
Page 55, Rallying, Procedure, para 1

A unit that attempts to rally cannot voluntarily move or conform but can still shoot or fight in melee.

My view was that it can attempt a rally as the conformation isn't voluntary, but it's possible that the voluntary bit only applies to movement.

Thoughts?

1st COROLLARY

A disordered impetuous unit can attempt a rally before making an uncontrolled charge. This would only be worthwhile if starting within 1UD of the enemy.

2nd COROLLARY

If the unit conforming is required to do so because it's in corner to corner contact with an enemy unit (and is not in support of another friendly unit see page 51) does it also benefit from being able to rally and conform?

Dave
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Ven Sep 16, 2022 6:59 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Good question.

I would have assumed this (preventing rallies before conforming) is what the say/implied but it does seem to explicitly say this is not permitted.

Let’s see what the Powers That Be say…
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Ven Sep 16, 2022 9:57 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
It's implicit you can rally before an involuntary move so it would be illogical for rallying to be prohibited before an involuntary conform.

This is, perhaps, one of those cases where the now outlawed Oxford comma would come in handy.

Dave
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Sep 16, 2022 10:56 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
NO conform and rally unless light troops.
p55 rallying. opening paragraph.

You may not rally and charge. Therefore a rally on a unit that will be forced to make an uncontrolled charge is 3 CP. All very explicit.
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Sam Sep 17, 2022 4:12 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I think this was discussed before and the consensus was that there should be a comma between voluntarily move and conform.
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Sep 17, 2022 8:32 am    Sujet du message: Rallying and Compulsory Conformation Répondre en citant
Hazelbark a écrit:
NO conform and rally unless light troops.
p55 rallying. opening paragraph.

You may not rally and charge. Therefore a rally on a unit that will be forced to make an uncontrolled charge is 3 CP. All very explicit.

Dan,

that's even more confusing.

I get the point about not rallying and then charging - because even though an uncontrolled charge might not be "voluntary" it would still break the prohibition on "doing two things" within 4UD of enemy.

However, it doesn't help that you have added a new condition about light troops. You can't be saying that if the unit conforming in either example cited was Light Cavalry it would be able to rally, because that would be silly. Rather, I think you're saying that the involuntary movement envisaged by the rule is displacement as a result of interpenetration.

A) Yes?

B) Would this also apply to units that will subsequently be shifted to enable chargers to conform?

C) And to units that have already been shifted?

I think the answer to all three is yes, but I'm known to get rules wrong from time to time Wink

Which leaves only the point about conforming. In both the examples I gave the conformation resulted in a changed combat situation so it makes sense that the same "two things" prohibition applies and the conforming units can't also rally.

However, what about units that are having to conform as a result of an incomplete conformation in the opponent's turn?

It seems to me they should be permitted to rally as that conformation is more like displacement by interpenetration/shifting than the turning to flank or the free conforms in that it hasn't materially changed their situation.

D) Is that a reasonable interpretation?

Either way, it would help if in future editions the rule was rephrased. Something like:

Citation:
A unit that must conform (except to complete an incomplete conformation) or that makes a move within 4UD of the enemy may not also attempt to rally.

With the bit in brackets depending on the answer to D). Also, the phrase "makes a move" might overcome any confusion about what is or isn't voluntary.

Dave
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Sep 17, 2022 4:10 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Its not me "adding" anything. I am just reading.
Very Happy

I get what you want...but I do not see any special dispensation for incomplete conformation from opponents previous turn. Do you see support for that anywhere? I don't recall it.

Now as for you suspecting Light troops might be more restricted than my open ended statement might suggest, consider two rules:
p 53, 3rd bullet
p 55, last sentence first paragraph. (I know you were looking at this already, i just cite it for completeness)

It seems to me that those are both fairly all encompassing exceptions for light troops. What do you think?
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Sep 17, 2022 7:43 pm    Sujet du message: Rallying and Compulsory Conformation Répondre en citant
Thanks Dan,

what I "wanted" was a clear understanding of the rules. Your original reply didn't really help with that. This was much better. Cool

Dave
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Sep 17, 2022 8:56 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
daveallen a écrit:

what I "wanted" was a clear understanding of the rules. Your original reply didn't really help with that. This was much better. Cool

Clear rulings cost two pints. Muddy opinions a free.
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 13, 2022 12:57 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
A similar but slightly different situation came up yesterday in a game.

I had a unit of HC with two lost cohesion points and an enemy Bow unit with a single cohesion loss, and an attached general, in corner to corner contact with it.

In his turn my opponent attempted and succeeded in rallying. After this he then involuntarily conformed to the front of my cavalry. (both of our situations were pretty desperate)

He threw in his general making it an even roll (I had a unit in simple support)

He rolled 3 higher than I did IIRC. Killed the unit, the one behind it and won the game.

My fault - I was aware of the question but forgot the answer and rationalized that movements can come before conformation after all like Dave said.

So, for want of an Oxoford comma, the battle was lost.... woe is me.
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 13, 2022 4:16 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Given the recent ruling that a unit in non-melee contact but in the ZoC of an enemy is not obliged to conform or move, does this mean it could rally (on a +4)?
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Déc 28, 2022 1:43 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Note that there is more text about adjusting and rallying on page 39.
Also on page 40 a unit burst through may not then rally.

Is there any involuntary movement other than shifting, adjustment, uncontrolled charge, or driven back from a flank march? LI moving away from illegal conformance?

If there any voluntary conformation other than artillery already in contact or units completing conformance into penalizing terrain?
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 21, 2023 8:52 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I've been exploring this question. It's clear the idea is that you either choose to move or to rally, but you must still make mandatory moves if they come up. What's less clear is how conformance should be treated. I think "A unit that attempts to rally cannot voluntarily move or conform..." is unfortunately too vague to answer the questions.

I see these as possibly involuntary moves: adjustment and shift; uncontrolled charge; pursuit; flank march entry/driven back.
Adjustment and shift - these explicitly prevent subsequent rallly for heavies and allow rally for lights.
Uncontrolled charge - even if you auto-rally it is an "order" so you will hold. If you do charge, it comes at the end of the movement phase, so you have no opportunity to rally. You never have the choice.
Pursuit - this is mandatory for impetuous and elephants and optional for most others. Pursuit is a "move". The text implies if you rallied, you may not optionally pursue. Unconvinced that is the intention.
Flank march entry/driven back - I believe you must use the corps CPs to enter, so you must move at least one unit even if you decide to abandon the rest;-) Looks like it's mandatory. Nothing to rally with a flank march, but if driven back past an enemy unit lots of disorder. May you rally? I think that's daft, and maybe page 11 justifies "That's daft!" as a ruling.

As for conformance: after charge/pursuit/move to support; when incomplete; when enemy on flank/rear; other contact.
Charge/pursuit/move to support - already moved.
When incomplete - must be resolved immediately. Seems involuntary, and I'm very sympathetic to Dave's point that due to the enemy making unideal contact, you would have to forgo an opportunity to rally, when if the enemy did match up, you would not. It certainly seems reasonable to allow rally here.
When enemy on flank/rear - not resolved immediately but you must always conform. Since you were caught in the flank/rear, not unreasonable to be denied a chance to rally.
Other contact - as you have the opportunity to move away, it seems inherently voluntary, although moving would also prevent rally. There may also be the possibility of putting the enemy into melee with another unit and avoiding the conformance. But if any conformance will prevent rally, it would have to be this one.
Could you rally because you have not conformed (yet) and then conform because you must? Certainly not, as this would make the restriction meaningless. If you have a conformation pending, you cannot rally.
Note that in certain circumstance (frozen by an enemy ZoC) conformance might become pending only when circumstances change.
To sum up, the distinction between voluntary and involuntary moves doesn't seem to matter, while the distinction between voluntary and involuntary conformance is obscure.
Not sure much is gained by forbidding rally and conformance. If you can spend the CP when a unit is in melee, why not when conforming into combat? It would smooth things out a bit.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: