Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Dismounting to face Elephants
Page 2 sur 2 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Ven Fév 10, 2023 4:30 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Could be, though I think the rules on mounted in terrain are currently slightly too punitive if we want to abstract it away and assume mounted are (usually) dismounted as the circumstances call for.

Or just go through the lists and see which armies/troops actually have any historical evidence supporting their dismounting and adjust lists as necessary while continuing with the current rules.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Fév 10, 2023 5:11 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
KevinD a écrit:
Could be, though I think the rules on mounted in terrain are currently slightly too punitive if we want to abstract it away and assume mounted are (usually) dismounted as the circumstances call for.

Or just go through the lists and see which armies/troops actually have any historical evidence supporting their dismounting and adjust lists as necessary while continuing with the current rules.

Every ancients game boils down to a series of tradeoffs between paper scissors & stone, and between actual history, how it would have played out in a film, and what makes a good game.

Personally speaking, whilst I can see there may be a case for extending the option to dismount much beyond what is currently allowed based on "history", I'also strongly suspect that in doing so you would upset the balance of the "game" by giving too many troops a free second pick in the "paper scissors stone" element of the system - and if you genuinely want a more "historical" game that no-one actually plays, there are plenty of other options out there already Wink

If you wanted to do this for a scenario, or a campaign played between consenting adults however, there is nothing stopping you.
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Ven Fév 10, 2023 7:43 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Personally I think the rules work fine as they are.
The blanket allowance to dismount v Elephants, Fortifications & war wagons works fine for me.

Allowing some armies pre-deployment options to use dismounted alternatives could be expanded. As the choice to buy a dismounted alternative has to be made before you know what army you are facing.

But I am with Tim. The current system works, so no need to tinker with . Very Happy
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 2 sur 2 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: