Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Conforming into destruction?
Page 2 sur 3 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2, 3  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mer Avr 05, 2023 4:26 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
KevinD a écrit:
Being flanked by Lights (including LC) do not cause a cohesion drop.

Correction to my post: If hit by both a heavy and a light in flank or rear then there is a drop, see page 61

Dernière édition par Mike Bennett le Ven Avr 07, 2023 6:00 pm; édité 1 fois
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Avr 05, 2023 5:14 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
KevinD a écrit:

Indeed Very Happy

It was just the revelation to me (& others that I play with) that a cohesion drop can be caused by being double-hit in both/either flanks and/or rear, when the unit was not engaged with another 'heavy' enemy unit frontally, that triggered this thread.

Plus the idea that you could potentially be forced to conform into a position that would ultimately cause you to self destruct Shocked
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Avr 05, 2023 5:30 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Mark, you missed the part of Dave's reply where he pointed out the Special cases bullet. If you move, including conform, into a multiple attack situation, you do not take the hit. Presumably the unit is not "surprised".
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Avr 05, 2023 7:00 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Neep a écrit:
Mark, you missed the part of Dave's reply where he pointed out the Special cases bullet. If you move, including conform, into a multiple attack situation, you do not take the hit. Presumably the unit is not "surprised".

Ah - ok - so that supports the original question about not having to 'conform into destruction' - Good to Know.

Comes from doing all this communication on a smart phone and not reading back over the comms trail Laughing

Thanks
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mer Avr 05, 2023 9:50 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Mark G Fry a écrit:
Ok Dave - thanks Very Happy

So in effect - if a unit is charged (in the same move or in multiple moves) and hit on any two different sides by enemy units (other than Light Infantry, artillery or WWg) it will automatically drop a cohesion point.
There is no need specifically for it to be fighting to its front at the same time.
Well ... we have been playing that one wrong then.

Good to know how the Special rule works as well.

Many thanks
Mark

Mike Bennett a écrit:
KevinD a écrit:

Depends on the order of contact, irrespective if it is the same or a different turn
Heavies in the flank then lights, no drop
Lights then heavies in the flank, you drop

So I decided to miss off the second sentence of the bullet point because I thought it might just muddy the water. Seems I was wrong - the water's muddy anyway. Smile

Citation:
Page 61 Multiple Attacks bp4 second sentence:

At least one of the enemy units contacting its flank or the rear must conform properly and be other than LI, LH, artillery or WWg.

Leaving aside that artillery can't make contact, and the puzzling implication that only one of the units needs to conform properly, it looks to me like the order in which units make contact doesn't matter for the cohesion drop.

Which is handy because if, say, a Pike and an LI wanted to contact a HSwd in the open it would not be possible for the LI to contact first (see Contact Restrictions p42).

Dave
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Avr 05, 2023 10:33 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hmm. Doesn't look like LI can make a multiple attack against El, SCh, Arty, or other lights, if the target is already engaged on the front edge. Well I guess LH can't do it against anyone either.
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Avr 05, 2023 10:56 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Neep a écrit:
Hmm. Doesn't look like LI can make a multiple attack against El, SCh, Arty, or other lights, if the target is already engaged on the front edge. Well I guess LH can't do it against anyone either.

I read that as saying that LI can make the multiple attacks, they just wont drop the El, SCh, Arty or other lights a cohesion level - which is the way I've always understood it.

The wording about Artillery is a bit odd (as they cannot initiate contact) however it is technically possible for a unit to conform its flank into contact with the front edge of an enemy artillery unit - so I suppose that wording covers that eventuality.

Many thanks all.

I am suitable enlightened Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Jeu Avr 06, 2023 11:19 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Not quite, but we're getting there Wink

Citation:
Page 42 Contact Restrictions, Light Infantry, bp4:

Light Infantry can always contact enemy (even heavy troops) already in melee to provide simple or melee support.

Which means that in the example I gave [an enemy HSwd unit in the open is charged in the flank by Pike and then a LI unit moves to give melee support on the HSwd's other flank] the HSwd drops a cohesion level.

This is because it has been contacted in both flanks in the same phase and one of the units making contact is not light troops.

Dave
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Jeu Avr 06, 2023 7:41 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Dave, I disagree.

See p 61.

“When a unit ALREADY IN MELEE, or melee support, is attacked by a NEW enemy (OTHER THAN LIGHT TROOPS, artillery or WWg) on its flank or rear edge, it immediately loses one cohesion point.â€

If the new enemy is light troops they do not cause a cohesion drop.

If the pikes are not ALREADY in Melee (including earlier in the same phase) the HSw do not suffer a drop.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Avr 06, 2023 8:15 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Mike Bennett a écrit:
KevinD a écrit:

Depends on the order of contact, irrespective if it is the same or a different turn

Ca dépend si il y a un ennemi sur le front ou pas.
Si oui, alors quel que soit cet ennemi sur le front qui est alors le combattant principal, le contact d'une autre troupe par le flanc ou l'arrière cause une perte de cohésion, sauf si la troupe en soutien de mêlée est une troupe légère.
Notez que, dans ce cas, l'unité perd ces éventuels javelot, impact, arme à 2 mains etc...

Si il n'y a pas d'ennemi sur le front, le combattant principal est celui qui contacte en premier. Mais si un LH contacte en premier et une autre troupe non légère contacte ensuite, alors il y a perte de cohésion. En effet, la perte de cohésion n'est pas causée par le combattant principal, mais par la troupe en soutien de mêlée. Donc, si la troupe en soutien de mêlée n'est pas une troupe légère, il y a perte de cohésion.
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Jeu Avr 06, 2023 8:50 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
As Google Translate says:

It depends if there is an enemy on the front line or not.
If yes, then regardless of that enemy on the front who is then the main fighter, contact with another troop from the flank or rear causes loss of cohesion, unless the troop in melee support is a troop light.
Note that, in this case, the unit loses any javelin, impact, 2-handed weapon etc...

If there is no enemy on the front, the main fighter is the first to contact. But if an LH contacts first and another non-light troop contacts next, then there is a loss of cohesion. Indeed, the loss of cohesion is not caused by the main fighter, but by the troop in melee support. Therefore, if the troop in melee support is not a light troop, there is a loss of cohesion.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Avr 07, 2023 6:37 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Google traduction' english is better than mine is.
And it's good!
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Ven Avr 07, 2023 7:44 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hi Lionel,

helpful as always Laughing

My problem is that the way the rule is written bullet point 4 seems to be a separate case to bullet point 1. If, as you suggest, it is a subordinate clause then perhaps it should be amended to make this clear:

Citation:
A unit also loses a cohesion point if it is engaged in melee or melee support on multiple sides by multiple enemy in the same phase. At least one of the enemy units contacting its flank or the rear must conform properly and be other than LI, LH, artillery or WWg.

To:
Citation:
A unit also loses a cohesion point if it is engaged in melee or melee support on multiple sides by multiple enemy in the same phase. At least one of the enemy units in melee support must conform fully and be other than LI, LH, artillery or WWg.

This also replaces "properly" (which is the wrong word - an incomplete conformation is "proper" under the conformation rules) with "fully" which is what is intended. No?

Dave
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Ven Avr 07, 2023 5:23 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Or to ask the same question differently,
if an unengaged HISw is attacked first on one flank by LH and then on the other flank by Pike, clearly it loses a cohesion point.
If an unengaged HISw is attacked first on one flank by Pike and then on the other flank by LH, does it lose a cohesion point?
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Ven Avr 07, 2023 5:59 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Mike Bennett a écrit:
KevinD a écrit:

Sorry my error, order does not matter in this case as long as they are in the same phase. Pg61, 4th bullet

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 2 sur 3 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2, 3  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: