Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Unit 'fighting' in 2 directions at the same time?
Page 1 sur 3 Aller à la page 1, 2, 3  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Mai 15, 2023 10:37 am    Sujet du message: Unit 'fighting' in 2 directions at the same time? Répondre en citant
Hi there

I had a situation in a game at the weekend that seemed very 'odd' to me. Potentially at odds with a basic principle of the rules.
So I am interested in others views and opinions on this please?

A Heavy Knight impetuous is facing two units of Bowmen (A & B). One unit of Bowmen (A) is facing the knights, directly in front of them and both are just outside of each others ZoC.
The knight has moved to this position in its turn, as result of a compulsory follow-up.

In the Bowmen's turn, the other unit of Bowmen (B) moves forwards 1UD and turns (not contacting the knights) but creating a 'box' whereby if the knight charges it will end up with this Bowmen (b) fighting it on its flank.

I am aware that in this situation the knights (even though they are impetuous) do not have to charge, but if they do they will not receive a disorder, but Bowmen (B) on the flank will add to the combat factors of the Bowmen (A) being charged frontally by the knights. The knights will also lose their impact factor and fight on a '0' as they have the Bowmen (B) fighting to their flank.

In the next turn, Bowman (B) is charged in its own flank by a unit of enemy LC. The knights now charge Bowmen (A) to their front.
To my surprise it appears that despite Bowmen (B) having been hit in the flank by the enemy LC - it continues to influence the combat between the knights and Bowmen (A).
So the knights still fight on a '0' and still lose their impact, whilst Bowman (B) fights the LC to its flank (admittedly on a '0') but in effect Bowman (B) is influencing (in effect fighting) two enemies at once.

I accept that this is the way that the rules are written ... but is this outcome the intention, as it can create some very 'odd' outcomes.
I'd have thought that Bowman (B) would have been so preoccupied with the flank attack that it would be 'diverted' from doing anything against the knights.

Many thanks
Mark
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Lun Mai 15, 2023 2:52 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
This is an easily overlooked idea, conveyed only (AFAIU) by the diagram on page 66. Good luck finding original intent.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Mai 15, 2023 4:01 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Yes you can have this occurring.

Usually this occurs in succeeding turns which is why the rule reads the way it does. I flank you hoping for a quick win. I stall. Then in your turn you riposte.

You had a situation where both occur simultaneously.

Additional things to take on board.

The knight if it moved after the light horse would have the option to halt in simple support of the LH. p 60 right column first bullet. So then it would have been LH on flank with a simple support of the KN and the KN would not have to go in. (also shown in the diagrams on p 61) [The impetuous can move to this spot and stop is p45, right column, 5th bullet]

Also the KN if it moves into the position where the bow is on its flank, the KN do not lose a cohesion point, but does get zero'd. (p 61, special cases, 1st bullet)
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Mai 15, 2023 7:27 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks Dan.

I agree with all the points you raise, and was aware that the Knights did not have to charge impetuously into Bownen (A) to their front, so could have remained stationary & supported the LC attacking Bowmen (B) in the flank.

What surprised me was that Bowman (B) could still exert a negative effect on the Knights, even though it is now fighting an enemy in its own flank.
Not only does this seem particularly harsh but also
seems to breach a fundamental rules principle that a unit cannot (in effect) fight against two enemy at the same time.
NB: I am aware that an unengaged unit in a line between two friendly engaged unit can support both, but that is because it is unengaged itself (I assume).

The above is equally odd when you consider that had Bowmen (B) been hit in the flank by a heavy unit, it would not have suffered a Cohesion drop, as it is not considered to be fighting another enemy unit on its front edge. As I read it?

Many thanks
Mark
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Lun Mai 15, 2023 8:15 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
(I believe you are correct.) You will get the +1 situation modifier.
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Mai 20, 2023 7:47 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Minor point here - the Bowmen keep their base factor (+1) against the LC because units fighting lights on their flank are not reduced to 0.
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Sam Mai 20, 2023 6:08 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
daveallen a écrit:
Minor point here - the Bowmen keep their base factor (+1) against the LC because units fighting lights on their flank are not reduced to 0.

Thanks Dave - yes - that came up at Campaign.
I must admit I had been playing it that all units fight at '0' if attacked in the flank, but I stand corrected.
Seems rather generous to me ... but there you go. No more LC impact into the flanks of Pikemen then Shocked

The main 'thrust' of this thread is around this oddity that the Bowmen seem (in effect) to be able to fight in 2 directions - which seems to me to be against the core principles of the rules.

Cheers
Mark
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Mai 20, 2023 9:29 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Or Medium Cavalry.

Also, Heavy Infantry have the same factor against LC as Pike.

The situation you describe is extremely niche. More common is a unit hitting the flank of an existing melee support unit and there the procedure makes sense - melee support disappears immediately, but effect of having a unit on the flank lingers to the end of the turn.

The aim is to make players avoid exposing vulnerable flanks. Following that principle the sensible thing to do was remove the flank threat this turn and send the Knights in next.

Dave
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Mai 20, 2023 11:46 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Mark G Fry a écrit:

Seems rather generous to me ... but there you go. No more LC impact into the flanks of Pikemen then Shocked

The main 'thrust' of this thread is around this oddity that the Bowmen seem (in effect) to be able to fight in 2 directions - which seems to me to be against the core principles of the rules.

Well impact LC into the flank of the pike are +1 impact +1 on flank v +2 pike. That is even and the LC get furious charge. Unless the LC evaporate the Pike will turn to face. Once of the good things (i think) about ADLG) is making light infantry and cavalry not the uber troops of the DBx world in particular. They are essentially not the battle line troops which is a good thing IMO.

As for Bowmen it as stated is a very niche thing and bowmen need a lot of breaks.
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mar Mai 23, 2023 10:13 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
daveallen a écrit:
Or Medium Cavalry.

Also, Heavy Infantry have the same factor against LC as Pike.

The situation you describe is extremely niche. More common is a unit hitting the flank of an existing melee support unit and there the procedure makes sense - melee support disappears immediately, but effect of having a unit on the flank lingers to the end of the turn.

The aim is to make players avoid exposing vulnerable flanks. Following that principle the sensible thing to do was remove the flank threat this turn and send the Knights in next.

Dave

The fact that it came up in an open competition (& I'd experienced a similar situation under v3 against another competition opponent) means that either I am unlucky or careless or it is not so niche Shocked

If a unit is in effect fighting to its flank (regardless of whether it is being hit by a heavy or light unit) it seems at odds with the basic principles/mechanisms of the rules that it can also exert a negative melee effect on another unit, that it is not technically engaged (fighting) with. It does not inflict casualties on the Knights to its front yet it removes its impact, & reduces it to fighting on a 'O'.
Yet, it does not drop a Cohesion level if it is hit in the flank (by a heavy unit) as it is not considered to be 'fighting' an enemy to its front.

Waiting another 2 turns of movement & combat is often not an option, as was the case in this game. Sadly.

Many thanks
Mark
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mar Mai 23, 2023 10:19 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hazelbark a écrit:
Mark G Fry a écrit:

Well impact LC into the flank of the pike are +1 impact +1 on flank v +2 pike. That is even and the LC get furious charge. Unless the LC evaporate the Pike will turn to face. Once of the good things (i think) about ADLG) is making light infantry and cavalry not the uber troops of the DBx world in particular. They are essentially not the battle line troops which is a good thing IMO.

As for Bowmen it as stated is a very niche thing and bowmen need a lot of breaks.

I think we are getting distracted by the fact that the unit flank attacking the Bowmen was LC - that is not my point.

My 'concern' is that the Bowmen - even if they had been hit in the flank by a supported Elephant - would still be exerting a negative fighting impact on the Knights - but would not suffer a -1 Cohesion level drop as they are not considered fighting to their front whilst hit in the flank by another heavy unit - when the rules seem to imply that they are actually fighting to their front.

Thanks
Mark
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Mer Mai 24, 2023 9:44 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
“When a unit already in melee, or in melee support, is attacked by a new enemy (other than light troops, artillery or WWg) on its flank or rear edge, it immediately loses one cohesion point.†P61, 1st bullet.

So in your example, the unit in melee support hit in the flank by an elephant would lose a cohesion point. The flank support it provides however would not be at -1 as no modifiers are applied to melee support, only the unit’s base factor +1.
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Mai 24, 2023 11:53 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
KevinD a écrit:
“When a unit already in melee, or in melee support, is attacked by a new enemy (other than light troops, artillery or WWg) on its flank or rear edge, it immediately loses one cohesion point.†P61, 1st bullet.

So in your example, the unit in melee support hit in the flank by an elephant would lose a cohesion point. The flank support it provides however would not be at -1 as no modifiers are applied to melee support, only the unit’s base factor +1.

I think you're incorrect here Kevin.
The Bowmen unit is not classified as fighting an enemy unit on its front edge - as it is incapable of inflicting casualties on the knight.
So the Elephant (or any other 'heavy' unit) does not inflict a cohesion point (by my reading). But again, that is not my main point of contention here.

Also, it is not counted as being in Melee Support either, as it adds no fighting factors to the melee between the Knights and the enemy Bowmen they are fighting frontally (or are you saying it should do that? As if that is the case that is an even bigger issue - IMHO?).
It is not already in melee (or melee support) as it was actually hit in the flank by the LC first, then the Knights charged, and is fighting the LC not the knights (& in a multiple melee where units are hit in the flank & are not fighting frontally - it is the 1st unit that hits the enemy that is the primary fighting unit).

What this all does is cause the 'flanking' Bowmen to:
a) reduce the Knights factor to '0' fighting frontally
b) removes the Knights impact
c) whilst allowing the flanking Bowmen to fight at full factor against the other enemy unit fighting to its flank

I think that whilst it might be an anomaly - it is also an 'inconsistency' within the rules, and probably an unintentional one, as Hazelbark has pointed out, as it is designed to deal with a different set of circumstances.

Thanks
Mark
PS: I might be railing against what looks like a minor 'injustice' but to me it is about consistency within the core rules mechanisms.

Dernière édition par Mark G Fry le Mer Mai 24, 2023 12:23 pm; édité 4 fois
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Mai 24, 2023 12:13 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The answer to this 'problem' seems to me to be fairly straight-forward.

A unit that is not engaged frontally, that is hit in the flank loses the ability to do anything other than fight the attacker on its flank. or words to that effect.

It stops this 'gamey' and unrealistic table-top tactic by making it have no effect. It also maintains the consistency within the rules that a unit cannot 'fight' against two (or more enemies at once)

(as stated above Simple Support is different, as the supporting unit is not actually fighting frontally itself - with an enemy unit on its front edge)

Thanks
Mark
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Mai 24, 2023 6:45 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Mark G Fry a écrit:

I think we are getting distracted by the fact that the unit flank attacking the Bowmen was LC - that is not my point.

My 'concern' is that the Bowmen - even if they had been hit in the flank by a supported Elephant - would still be exerting a negative fighting impact on the Knights - but would not suffer a -1 Cohesion level drop as they are not considered fighting to their front whilst hit in the flank by another heavy unit - when the rules seem to imply that they are actually fighting to their front.

Let's leave the light unit exception aside.

Any unit with its front on the flank of another unit, that then has a 2nd enemy put their front on its flank is fighting in two directions, will take a cohesion loss and will be set to zero. Further it will not contribute any positive modifiers to the combat on its front. p 66 diagram

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 3 Aller à la page 1, 2, 3  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: