Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Ghaznavid
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Army lists
Auteur Message
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juil 27, 2023 7:13 pm    Sujet du message: Ghaznavid Répondre en citant
This started as a thread on the tournament results. Moving here for more discussion.

Black Prince a écrit:
My current working list is, you just don't want to be the centre command with the 2 elephants its casualty rate is always high but it enables the Ghulams to win the day.

+3
2 Ghulams Heavy cavalry bow Elite
1 Arabs and Bedouins Light cavalry impact ----------
1 War Elephant Elephant armour ----------
2 Indian Warriors Medium swordsmen impetuous ----------
2 Indian and Afghan Archers Light infantry bow ----------
1 Turks and Nomads Light cavalry bow --------

+0
2 War Elephant Elephant armour ----------
2 Dailami Infantry Medium swordsmen impact support Elite
2 Indian Skirmishers Light infantry javelin ----------
2 Ghaznavid Warriors Heavy spearmen support ----------

-6 Ordinary, included and unreliable
2 Turks and Nomads Light cavalry bow ----------
1 Ghulams with General Heavy cavalry bow Elite
1 Ghulams Heavy cavalry bow Elite
1 Arabs and Bedouins Light cavalry impact ----------

Respectfully. So if you match your Ghaznavid up against mine, I have 6 Ghilman, 2 Impact CV, 3 LH to your less. So i would wait with the elephants, while i slaughtered your mobile force while are both stronger and more mobile. Your advantage of armor and the 2 HI won't come into play. If you are winning currently with your 4 HC, then you must be playing people who are bringing less mounted.
Similarly my list struggles against an 11 MC elite Bow hun type list and yours would be in worse shape.

What i think this debate (my comments and our two lists) represents is how the ghaznavid wins. We both seem to agree it is an elephant delivery system. You've invested a lot in the contact portion. I've invest more in where it will strike and the damage the mounted can do. I bought the MC impact really as a test and it worked well. Fairly mobile and dangerous and they were always kept within 2 UD of the EL Battlegroup or the HC Bow, unless i had moved to the exploitation phase of broken enemy lines. I also believe the Elephants are often a force in being and you have to plan for how to win when the Elephants are fizzling.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juil 27, 2023 8:14 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Adding Armour for Elephants appears (to me anyway) to be all about protecting the elephants from unwanted enemy missiles (on a 360 degree basis) - specifically HC/MC/LC bow - so (as you say Dan) they can arrive in full fighting fitness
You can achieve the same result by placing a LF in front of them, but that costs 4pts and only protects them frontally, and the LF can also be shot up. It also assumes that you have the necessary LF you need to do this, in adequate numbers, in the army list.

However, like other similar Horse Archer/Elephant combo armies (Timurid/Hepthalite Huns/Mughal Sultanate etc.), this tactic does rely upon there being a target for the Elephants to hit in your opponents army Wink

A very interesting army list Dan - thank you for sharing it.

Mark
Black Prince
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Dim Juil 30, 2023 4:44 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I do struggle to master mobile warfare, and so far I have found the Ghaznavids are a good balance for my level of skill. My usual gaming friends tend not to field armies with a lot of mounted, and this has probably reinforced my list development. To be fair to my friends I noticed at this year's Cancon comp there were a lot of HF armies and the few armies that had a lot of mounted were there were either impact mounted or impetuous cavalry. For the record at this year's Cancon I made a last minute change from Ghaznavid to an English HYW army and paid the price.

Back to my Ghaznavids yes is does fight mainly foot armies with a few mounted and then a lot of them have bloody mediocre pikes, (surprising there are a lot of armies that have mediocre pike). The light foot screen the elephants from shooting but the armour is to protect them in melee, in general the games I play the elephants are in contact with the enemy centre by turn 3 or 4 and remain in contact until the final phase of the game when either they have killed everything in front and to the side of them or been killed. I know my list is not perfect but it works well against my usual opponents which could well be part of the problem as it has been optimised to fight against one type of army. From what I saw at Cancon this year I think it would do OK as 95% of the armies had a solid centre for the elephants to hit. All that said, Dan I will give your list a go as it looks good.

I noticed a Hun army came first at Roll Call, I thought an all mounted Ghaznavid army might be a fun way of improving my mobile warfare skill set. Yes by dropping the elephants you are loosing the hardest hitting units but you are using a different set of tools to win - thoughts anyone?
ALEXANDER
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Mar Aoû 01, 2023 1:11 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Forget all about elephant armour or Li as a protection.
A single enemy Lc javelin can easily charge the Li at great distance and force the Li to evade.

Why not keep the list simple?

Mahmud strategist free +10
2 Elephants 26
2 Medium Swordmen impact elite 18
2 LC javelin
2 HC impact

SG competent included
4 HC bow
1 LC bow elite
1 LC bow

SG competent included
4 HC bow
1 LC bow elite
1 LC bow
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mar Aoû 01, 2023 1:18 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
A nice list

You can achieve something very similar with a Sassanid Very Happy
ALEXANDER
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Mar Aoû 01, 2023 1:22 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
If you want more units...
you could drop the 2 HC impact and take

2 bowmen mediocre
2 Li javelin
Jhykronos
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Ven Aoû 04, 2023 9:19 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Black Prince a écrit:
thoughts anyone?

It's never as simple a matter as "My army took more mounted than you, so my mounted wing is going to beat your mounted wing and I win."

Sure, if your 4 units of Ghilmen get drawn into a straight-up fight with the other player's 6 units plus impact MC, then you deserve whatever happens next. You don't really have enough mounted to run a standalone mounted wing in that matchup.

So don't.

Keep your own heavy cavalry close to your spear and elephant groups and use them to keep the more mobile enemy honest... so if he wants to fight, he's going to have to fight elephants and/or spearmen, or at least concede a support... if he wants to run, he risks running from a few stands that might roll high and catch him in the back.

It can work, depending on the dice and the skill of the players. The only difficulty I see with your list, is that two of your commands are +0, so you might be hard-pressed to find the pips you need to pull it off.
Black Prince
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Sam Aoû 05, 2023 5:24 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks for input. If I remove all the upgrades from the army I posted, I can pick 2 MC impact and make the unreliable general reliable - I will test out this mod for the next couple of games.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Army lists
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: