Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
When does the +1 for fighting LMI and MI sword count?
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
Daveh
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Ven Déc 10, 2021 4:09 pm    Sujet du message: When does the +1 for fighting LMI and MI sword count? Répondre en citant
I have a question, if my impact Cav pursue into either LMI or MI swordsmen, who are not fighting another enemy, do they get +1 in the 1st round of combat?

It is a new enemy, not a continuing melee - see p.60, General Rules, 2nd paragraph. Therefore, it must be the 1st round of a melee.
The impact doesn't count because it's a pursuit.
The +1 is shown as a combat factor on p.22.
The Melee Resolution on p.62 then says you compare the combat factors to achieve a differential.

Similarly do you recieve the +1 if impetuous troops pursue and end in coner to corner contact and you then cornform.

Is it possible we could get a definitive answer on this question from the author?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Ven Déc 10, 2021 5:06 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Daveh a écrit:
I have a question, if my impact Cav pursue into either LMI or MI swordsmen, who are not fighting another enemy, do they get +1 in the 1st round of combat?

It is a new enemy, not a continuing melee - see p.60, General Rules, 2nd paragraph. Therefore, it must be the 1st round of a melee.
The impact doesn't count because it's a pursuit.
The +1 is shown as a combat factor on p.22.
The Melee Resolution on p.62 then says you compare the combat factors to achieve a differential.

Similarly do you recieve the +1 if impetuous troops pursue and end in coner to corner contact and you then cornform.

Is it possible we could get a definitive answer on this question from the author?

No for many reasons (as I understand it):

1. Combats resulting from pursuits never allow you to use first round factors - these are reserved for charges only. (Even if the rules might not literally read that way.)

2. Impact cavalry never get the +1 for non-Impact Cv vs. LMI MI Sw even if their impact ability is cancelled. They have to not possess the ability in the first place , not just have it cancelled or not apply in a particular combat for whatever reason.

I asked this question a few months ago using much the same reasoning and the above was the consensus answer.
Daveh
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Dim Déc 12, 2021 4:54 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
That makes sense otherwise they would be able to count if their opponent had stakes and the impact was cancelled.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Déc 13, 2021 4:27 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
This has repeatedly been clarified. A pursuit into a new unit is not a 1st round benefits.
Daveh
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Lun Déc 13, 2021 9:06 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Just so I know, where does it say that in the rules?
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 14, 2021 12:03 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Daveh a écrit:
Just so I know, where does it say that in the rules?

If it said this in the rules, I suspect it would not have needed to be clarified here and other places repeatedly .... Rolling Eyes

More seriously though, there’s a line at the end of the pursuit section that says something like ...â€these sorts of combats don’t count as chargesâ€. 
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 14, 2021 1:10 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ok, to be clear on this, we need to step back from the detail and read the definitions of the key actions.
If you sitting comfortably, then I will begin

• Contacting the enemy (p41) states
    A unit that comes into contact with a new enemy, even with a single corner contact, engages in combat with that enemy. The unit must then conform (see p
    50). Contact can take place in the following cases:
    • During a charge (see p 42).
    • When moving to contact an enemy already in
      melee to support a friendly unit (see p 60).
    • During a pursuit after combat (see p 69).

• CHARGE (P42) states
    Definition
    A charge is a move in which a unit engages in combat with an enemy. The units must contact the enemy with part of its front edge (even a single corner). The charge stops once contact with the target is made. The charging unit or group must then conform (see p 50). A charge allows units to claim those bonuses that are only valid during the first round of a melee

• PURSUIT (P69) states
    When a unit has routed all its opponents in melee, it can perform a pursuit at the end of the melee phase. Pursuit moves are conducted after routs. Only the phasing player’s units can perform a pursuit.
    [SNIP]

Contacting new enemies
    Pursuit movement may bring the pursuing unit into contact with a new enemy
    • If the enemy does not evade, the combat will be resolved in the next melee phase. The combat will not be considered as a charge.

So in summary, units only get these 'extra' bonuses during the first round of a charge, and a pursuit is by definition NOT a charge.
(Neither is conformation after a melee).
Daveh
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 14, 2021 1:30 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks for that, I hadn't spotted the bit on p.42 - I'll shut up about this know and hang my head in shame in the corner ...

Smile Smile
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Déc 15, 2021 12:03 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Daveh a écrit:
Thanks for that, I hadn't spotted the bit on p.42 - I'll shut up about this know and hang my head in shame in the corner ...

Smile Smile

No don't do that. The problem is some trolls push repeatedly and are just argumentative. So people sometimes are short fused.
Black Prince
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Sam Déc 18, 2021 1:16 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
If a unit pursues and contacts an enemy in the flank, does the enemy unit in it movement phase get to turn and conform to the pursuer's front edge before any melee is resolved?
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Sam Déc 18, 2021 1:35 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Black Prince a écrit:
If a unit pursues and contacts an enemy in the flank, does the enemy unit in it movement phase get to turn and conform to the pursuer's front edge before any melee is resolved?

Assuming the enemy you contacted was not in melee already, I think so. See the p 69, top right, second bullet.
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Sam Déc 18, 2021 3:32 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
It must turn. See page 52.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: