Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Special Abilities Interactions
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Mar 16, 2022 1:36 am    Sujet du message: Special Abilities Interactions Répondre en citant
This is a follow on to the Does a cancelled ability still cancel abilities? thread. The answer to the question is either "yes", "no", or "sometimes", and there are reasonable proponents for each. I have no dog in the fight, so if you want to discuss it, please post on the other thread.
What is here is my attempt to catalog and index all possible fighting DRM Special Ability interactions. Please let me know if I missed or miscategorized anything. I hope this helps everyone to think about the answer.
Sorry about the fuzziness of the image. I converted HTML to JPG and stuck it on tinypics - you can click to the site for a slightly better image. Wish HTML was turned on.

I use "suppression" to avoid coloring the "cancellation" vs. "does not apply" question.
There are about 4 (or 5) sets of interactions with various causes of suppression. I have tried to provide examples of each. And, at least for while:), with some detail to put it into play context. Again, let me know what I botched.

Does cancelled Missile support cancel Furious charge?
Takabara peltasts (MI sword support) are attacked front and flank by Prodromoi (LH impact). The horse wins +2 causing a hit. The Missile support was cancelled by the flank attack, but does it prevent Furious charge causing a second hit?

Does cancelled Impact cancel Impact?
Normans (Med Kn impetuous) are attacked front by Tibetan Cataphracts and on the flank by nomads (LH bow). The flank attack cancels the Normans' impact. Does this allow the Cataphracts to count impact?

Normans (Med Kn impetuous), not fully emerged from rough, are attacked by Tibetan Cataphracts. The Normans are penalized and their impact is cancelled. Does this allow the Cataphracts to count impact?

Two Galwegians (MI sword impetuous) units have ended in an awkward 90° 'T'. Normans (Med Kn impetuous) decide to attack the exposed unit. The partially conformed flank attack will cancel the Normans' impact. Does this mean the Galwegians count their impact?

Norman knights attack Galwegians in rough. The Normans are penalized and their impact is cancelled. Does this allow the Galwegians to count impact?

Note: I don't believe there are foot with stakes and impact (or armour).
Note: the absence of CT and HCh impact on Kn is presented in the Troop Description, so arguably inate. However, they do have impact against Kn's flank and rear, so I read it as a suppression.

Does cancelled Furious charge cancel Armour?
Huscarls (HI sword 2HW armour elite) catch Norman knights front and flank. Normans lose and it's not pretty. Normans' Furious charge is cancelled by flank attack. But does it nullify Huscarls' armour so that Normans can claim heavier armour benefit?

Normans fight Huscarls in rough and lose. Normans' Furious charge is cancelled by penalizing terrain. But does it nullify Huscarls' armour so that Normans can claim heavier armour benefit?

Normans fight Huscarls across an obstacle and lose. Furious charge does not apply across an obstacle. But does it nullify Huscarls' armour so that Normans can claim heavier armour benefit?

Does cancelled Impact cancel Javelin?
Elamite Javelinmen attack Babalonian warriors (MI sword impact) front and flank. The flank attack cancels the warriors' impact. But does it nonetheless cancel the Elamite's javelin bonus?

Aramean Javelinmen fight Assyrian Chariots (Hch impact) in rough. The penalizing terrain cancels the Assyrian impact. Does the cancelled impact cancel the Aramean javelin bonus?

Chaldean Javelinmen defend fortifications against Assyrian Chariots. The chariots impact does not apply over fortifications. But does it cancel the Chaldean's javelin bonus?

Hebrew cavalry (LH javelin) is rushed by Sea People warriors (MI sword impetuos). The warriors' impact does not apply when charging mounted. But does it cancel the Hebrew's javelin bonus?

And lastly my favorite, Sicilian Jinetes (LH javelin) charge Almughavars (MI spear impact). Their impact doesn't count against the mounted Jinetes. But does it cancel the Jinetes' Javelin bonus?

Other issues
I've raised this already, but looking at the chart I'm reminded that Incendiary should perhaps be cancelled by flank or rear attack. And it nullifies protection when shooting; Perhaps it should cancel Armour when fighting like Furious charge does.

And just for fun
Does Panic affect foot? It does if it's horse drawn WWg. But not if it's man powered Plaustrella (list 189) bladed WWg. Furthermore, being foot, the Plaustrella can ram right through stakes without a worry! More things to track.

Dernière édition par Za Otlichiye le Ven Mar 18, 2022 6:33 pm; édité 1 fois
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Mar 16, 2022 2:16 am    Sujet du message: The raw HTML if anyone wants to play around with a copy Répondre en citant
<TABLE BORDER>
<CAPTION>Interaction of Melee Special Abilities</CAPTION>
<TR><TH>Special Ability<TH>Who is affected?<TH>Suppressed by<TH>Suppresses
<TR><TD>Armour &amp; Heavy Armour<TD>all<TD>Furious charge("cancels" p.17)<BR>Elephants("cancels" p.17)<BR><TD>-
<TR><TD>Two-handed weapon [2HW]<TD>all<TD>flank or rear attack("cancelled" p.63)<BR>SCh frfe("no effect" p.16)<BR><TD>-
<TR><TD>Polearm<TD>mounted<TD>flank or rear attack("cancelled" p.63)<BR>SCh frfe("no effect" p.16)<BR><TD>-
<TR><TD>Furious Charge<TD>not mounted<BR>not WWg, exc. unbladed by El<BR>not LI &amp; Javelinmen by El and SCh<BR>(all "with" p.1Cool
<TD>
flank or rear attack("cancelled" p.63)
<BR>penalizing terrain("does not apply" p.20, mounted "do not have" p.64)
<BR>across obstacles &amp; fortifications("do not apply" p.18,67)
<BR>Stakes against mounted("does not apply" p.18, "cancel" p.20)
<BR>Missile support against mounted("does not apply" p.18, "cancelled" p.20)
</TD>
<TD>Armour &amp; Heavy Armour("has" p.17)
<TR><TD>Impact<TD>not LI, LH, LMI by El(p.16)<BR>
<TD>
flank or rear attack("cancelled" p.63)
<BR>penalizing terrain against mounted("cancelled" p.18,"do not have" p.64)
<BR>across obstacles &amp; fortifications("do not apply" p.67)
<BR>Stakes against mounted("cancel" p.20)
<BR>Elephants("never applies" p.1Cool
<BR>SCh frfe, exc. El("no effect" p.16)
<BR>WWg, exc. unbladed by El("cancel" p.14)
<BR>mounted charged by foot("does not apply" p.1Cool
<BR>Impact Kn against HCh &amp; Ct("does not count" p.15-6)
<BR>Impact mounted charging foot("does not apply" p.1Cool
<BR>mounted against phalanx(doesn't "count" errata)
<BR>phalanx frfe by mounted("cancel" p.13-4,"does not apply" p.1Cool
<BR>non-impetuous sword charged frfe by impetuous foot("cancel" p13-4,"does not apply" p.1Cool
</TD>
<TD>
Javelin
<BR>HCh &amp; Ct Impact against Kn("does not count" p.15-6)
<BR>foot Impact by mounted("does not apply" p.14)
</TD>
<TR><TD>Impetuous<TD COLSPAN='3'>as Impact+Furious charge, exc. SCh as Furious charge
<TR><TD>Javelin<TD>all<TD>flank or rear attack("cancelled" p.63)<BR>WWg("cancelled" p.19)<BR>Impact{"cancelled" p.19)<TD>-
<TR><TD>Incendiary<TD>all<TD>SCh frfe("no effect" p.16)<BR>?<TD>?
<TR><TD>Panic<TD>camels &amp; horses, but SCh ("not affected" p.19)<TD>-<TD>-
<TR><TD>Stakes<TD>mounted<TD>-<TD>mounted Furious charge("not apply" p.1Cool("cancel" p.20)<BR>mounted Impact("cancel" p.20)<BR>
<TR><TD>Missile support<TD>all<TD>flank or rear attack("cancelled" p.63)<BR><TD>mounted Furious charge("does not apply" p.18, "cancelled" P.20)<BR>
</TABLE>
frfe = first round, front edge
<BR>
phalanx = spear &amp; pike men
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Avr 13, 2022 12:16 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Comments anyone?
Well, I have one - I suggested a horse-drawn WWg was susceptible to Panic, but if you look (real hard) at the QRS, you will find that Panic only applies to mounted.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: