Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
ZOC and terrain
Page 1 sur 3 Aller à la page 1, 2, 3  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
Adrian Steer
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Lun Mai 17, 2021 8:20 pm    Sujet du message: ZOC and terrain Répondre en citant
Rules query help please. If a medium infantry unit is emerging from a wood and has its front edge clear but its rear is still in the wood it obviously is still down for combat but can it ZOC other troops also outside the wood?
Exceptions to ZoC page 38 says:- a unit does not exert a ZOC into or from terrain that penalises it during combat. So if an elements front edge is out of terrain does it exert a ZOC? As this is not been exerted from the terrain.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Adresse AIM
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Lun Mai 17, 2021 10:34 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The zoc is into of out of terrain not the unit in or out of terrain
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Mai 17, 2021 10:51 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The text is really describing where the ZoC lies, not where the unit is located.

So in the position you present, the MI would exert a ZoC since the ZoC is entirely outside the wood. Were the MI facing the wood from that position, the ZoC would only extend up to the edge of the wood (while the ZoC of LI in the same position would extend into the wood).

Ha - snap Dickstick - Very Happy
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Mars
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Mar Mai 18, 2021 2:52 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Be interested to see what the 'official' answer is to this. Prior to reading the comments here and on the FB Group my thought process would have been, is the unit going to penalised in combat by terrain that it's in (partially or completely)? If yes it does not exert a ZOC.

I can see the argument that it might depend on where it's front is but the rule itself makes no reference to that at all, merely, is the unit penalised in combat by terrain it's in, there's no subtext about where it's front is or how far it's into the terrain.
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Mar Mai 18, 2021 7:42 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The bullet point does not require the unit to be in the penalising terrain.
P35 Definition defines where the Zoc is and p38 reduces the area of the Zoc restricted by terrain.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Mai 18, 2021 8:36 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:
The text is really describing where the ZoC lies, not where the unit is located.

So in the position you present, the MI would exert a ZoC since the ZoC is entirely outside the wood. Were the MI facing the wood from that position, the ZoC would only extend up to the edge of the wood (while the ZoC of LI in the same position would extend into the wood).

Ha - snap Dickstick - Very Happy

According to french interpretation, a unit can't exert a zoc if the unit is in a terrain that penalises it during combat, so the unit localisation matters.
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Mar Mai 18, 2021 9:22 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
So how should an English errata be written do you think?
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Mai 18, 2021 9:44 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Dickstick a écrit:

i don't know, my english is too poor to that. But if i translate literaly from french, i would said :
the french sentence is " une unité n'exerce pas de zdc dans ou à partir d'un terrain qui la pénalise au combat".
The subjet of the sentence is "une unité", and not "zdc". So, the circonstance to be in penalizing terrain is about the unit and not the about zoc. In our particular exemple, the french sentence would be " une unité n'exerce pas de zone de contrôle à partir d'un terrain qui la pénalise au combat", because the unit is in one of these terrains.
My last english lesson had been received in 1981, so i can't analys english sentence.

Be confident in El Kreator wisdom to give truth to the world!
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Mar Mai 18, 2021 10:23 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
So perhaps the smallest change might be.

"A unit does not exert a ZOC from terrain that penalises it during combat, or into that terrain."?

Any opinions?
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Mai 18, 2021 1:17 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
So:

"A unit even partly in terrain that penalises in combat does not exert a ZoC"

Is that what is being said?

Seems odd to me

Dave
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Mar Mai 18, 2021 1:27 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
daveallen a écrit:
So:

"A unit even partly in terrain that penalises in combat does not have [exercise?] a ZoC"

Seems wrong to me, but that's what is being said.

Dave

But also Zoc does not go it terrain the would penalise .
So cavalry cannot zoc a unit in a wood from outside.

Looking for a minimal translation edit for English edition so it agrees with French edition.
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Mai 18, 2021 2:03 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
"Units do not exert a ZoC into, through or across terrain that penalizes them in combat. Also, if any part of a unit is in such terrain it does not exert a ZoC at all."

Although I think an FAQ rather than an amendment is the way to go on this because it's more in the nature of an interpretation of "from" in this context rather than an error.

Dave
Adrian Steer
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Mar Mai 18, 2021 4:27 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks guys most helpful
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Adresse AIM
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Mai 18, 2021 5:19 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
lionelrus a écrit:
Dickstick a écrit:

i don't know, my english is too poor to that. But if i translate literaly from french, i would said :
the french sentence is " une unité n'exerce pas de zdc dans ou à partir d'un terrain qui la pénalise au combat".
The subjet of the sentence is "une unité", and not "zdc". So, the circonstance to be in penalizing terrain is about the unit and not the about zoc. In our particular exemple, the french sentence would be " une unité n'exerce pas de zone de contrôle à partir d'un terrain qui la pénalise au combat", because the unit is in one of these terrains.
My last english lesson had been received in 1981, so i can't analys english sentence.

Be confident in El Kreator wisdom to give truth to the world!

I think perhaps El Kreator must be the one to speak on this one.
kevinj
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Mai 19, 2021 2:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Maybe a diagram would help here so that translation is less of an an issue.

So, MF 1 and MF 2 are units of Medium Foot patially in a forest, facing in the diredtion of ^.
The red box represents the area 1 UD from their front.

For MF 1 this clearly extends across the terrain so MF 1 would not be able exert a ZoC across it.

Does the same apply to MF 2 as, although, the ZoC does not go though the penalising terrain, the Unit itself is in it?

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 3 Aller à la page 1, 2, 3  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: