Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Casualties of the New Lists
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Army lists
Auteur Message
Jhykronos
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Mai 19, 2021 9:09 am    Sujet du message: Casualties of the New Lists Répondre en citant
I just finished painting my Tannenberg Medieval Poles a few weeks ago. Did half my "followers" as crossbows, half as lancers, as the v3 list allowed both options.

I got my v4 rules in the mail today.

And suddenly I can't use followers with lance (impact heavy cavalry) before 1455!
(And why not? The Poles certainly had them...)

So, anyway, is there another army out there where 4 stands of impact cavalry with Heater Shields and Late 14th / Early 15th century german-style armour would fit in?
Longtooth
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Mai 19, 2021 12:20 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Best fit would probably be Hussite. If you do not want to use them post 1455, you could always give them away Smile

Jesse
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Mer Mai 19, 2021 10:05 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I painted six blocks of Egyptian pike during lockdown. I was seriously struggling to find figures to complete the job.
Now there are only four required. I feal your pain.

Practically every list has fewer compulsory troops but my byzantine is saddled with two more expensive cavalry that messes up a well worn list composition.

There are lots of winners in the changes and few losers.

There is plenty of list development work to be done creating a reason for more happy gaming.
Jhykronos
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mai 20, 2021 3:55 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Longtooth a écrit:
Best fit would probably be Hussite. If you do not want to use them post 1455, you could always give them away Smile

Jesse

Hussite might be an OK list for my Polish figures to do double duty, at least in the early period. Knights would work as well, and I already have a couple of War Wagons. Filling out the rest of the wagons might be pretty expensive, though...

Yeah, the two problems with post 1455 are:
1. That isn't the army I was interested in building.
2. Cavalry and Knights by that time have different armor and no longer use shields, and I'm the rare gamer that cares about details like that.
Jhykronos
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mai 20, 2021 4:06 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Dickstick a écrit:
I painted six blocks of Egyptian pike during lockdown. I was seriously struggling to find figures to complete the job.
Now there are only four required. I feal your pain.

Practically every list has fewer compulsory troops but my byzantine is saddled with two more expensive cavalry that messes up a well worn list composition.

There are lots of winners in the changes and few losers.

There is plenty of list development work to be done creating a reason for more happy gaming.

Cheers to a fellow Ptolemaic player!

Painting up a couple stands too many is usually not a problem for me... we do occasionally run 300-point games around here. Or even 2-on-1 matchups where one player fields 3-400 points against two 150 or 200 point armies. So having more than a list allows would not bother me.
OTOH the list suddenly not allowing -any- when they historically had them and they were on the last edition's list is a bit more annoying.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mai 20, 2021 4:29 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I suspect the theory is the followers with lance are part of the units of knights if they are numerous and did not function independently. Looking at the Feudal Polish list there seems to be a progression toward Knights for the hard charging types.

Its not my period but that is I would hazard a guess as possible.
Jhykronos
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mai 20, 2021 5:37 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hazelbark a écrit:
I suspect the theory is the followers with lance are part of the units of knights if they are numerous and did not function independently. Looking at the Feudal Polish list there seems to be a progression toward Knights for the hard charging types.

Its not my period but that is I would hazard a guess as possible.

You may be right.
The old FOG list did it pretty much the same way... and since a Polish "lance" would typically provide more "followers" than Men-at-Arms in full harness, counting the lancer followers in with the Knights units (like most lists do with squires, valets, etc.) would explain why the unit allowance of knights and crossbow followers is equal. So only the late 15th century "lancer banners" who were deployed in their own notably less armored units, would be represented separately.

Still bloody annoying. I -just- finished painting this army, and now I'm going to need to order more mounted crossbowmen and find a use for my lancers.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mai 20, 2021 6:19 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Yes annoying, but one of the inevitable problems when lists are updated.

But to be honest the V4 is much more viable than the v3 list.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mai 20, 2021 10:52 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Don't forget the history of ancients rules development; the earlier versions of lists were based almost entirely on DBM lists that were created several decades ago, themselves derived from WRG and earlier research. The current lists come from a different author with access to more recent research from wider sources thanks to the internet.

Furthermore, they have been adapted (slightly) to allow more historical representations eg Roman light artillery used in conjunction with legionaries and the introduction of Polearm weapons.
Jhykronos
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Ven Mai 21, 2021 1:04 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hazelbark a écrit:
Yes annoying, but one of the inevitable problems when lists are updated.

But to be honest the V4 is much more viable than the v3 list.

For the most part I agree with this. I'm happy with the changes to my other armies.
Jhykronos
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Ven Mai 21, 2021 1:09 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:
Don't forget the history of ancients rules development; the earlier versions of lists were based almost entirely on DBM lists that were created several decades ago, themselves derived from WRG and earlier research. The current lists come from a different author with access to more recent research from wider sources thanks to the internet.

Furthermore, they have been adapted (slightly) to allow more historical representations eg Roman light artillery used in conjunction with legionaries and the introduction of Polearm weapons.

Oh, believe me, I am more than happy to get lists that are more current than the usual "plagiarized from WRG's rule sets from the 1970s" lists that plague most games.

Honestly, I only give them a C- for their Medieval Poles, though. You really can't do a Tannenberg army off of this list... you would need some of the options in the Lithuanian list to make it work, and you can no longer take the Lithuanians as an ally to get those options.
Gingerdave
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juin 03, 2021 9:08 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The old Medieval Scandinavian list had some very useful Obudshaer with Halberds - Medium Swordsmen 2HW Armour.

One of the better rough terrain troops (OK, there was that one time I lost a unit to some LI Javelin in rough going Rolling Eyes ) and they could work alongside the knights for a charge into the enemy main force. They were very useful when the enemy had a few pike blocks.

Now they're just Medium Swordsmen Polearm. Not bad, but nowhere near as good as they used to be.

So I have 8 bases with 3 foot knights on each and much less to do.

I will just have to buy some longbows to let them function as late medieval Medium Swordsmen Longbow Wink . It's a hard life Laughing .

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Army lists
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: