Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
What is a combat factor?
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Sam Avr 02, 2022 7:37 pm    Sujet du message: What is a combat factor? Répondre en citant
I'm probably going to regret asking this one.

The other day I had a unit of Bowmen charged frontally by heavy chariots. They were also hit in the flank by non-light troops. It was a bad day.

1. Does the bow benefit from the +1 "bonus" for the first round of receiving a mounted charge frontally?

I would think not.

The basic question is per page 63 a units combat factor is reduced to zero when hit on the flank. Does this setting to zero happen after all other unit bonuses have been applied?

Other cases I can think of are Cavalry vs LMI and Medium Sword, and Spear and Pike vs Mounted.

Seems to me in all these cases they do not benefit from the Bonus.

2. But attached General fighting bonus DOES apply even if the unit is hit on the flank.

and finally 3. Per page 67 a War Wagon cannot be subject to a multiple attack so a battle ready wagon always keeps their +1.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Sam Avr 02, 2022 9:43 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
It is the basic factor that goes to zero. But note that a flank attack also removes special abilities like impact, bows first round +1 v mounted etc. Sorry I do not have the rules here and so cannot quote page references

Ps Otherwise the net combat value might actually increase in some strange situations (e.g. mounted in bad terrain) by being set to zero
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Lun Avr 04, 2022 3:26 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hi Mike,

It's on page 63. A flank attack does remove special abilities - specifically 2HW, Impact, Javelin, Polearm, Furious Charge, and Missile Support.

But the "bonus" is not a listed special ability - either on page 63 or on pages 17-20 under Special Abilities. So the "bonus" is not lost for that reason.

Good point on the terrain penalty. It is also clearly added after the setting to zero. Same for being uphill. But terrain is not a "combat factor"

I'm still pretty sure the bonus is added then the factor is set to zero but I have been certain and wrong about a lot of the rules over the years.
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Lun Avr 04, 2022 5:07 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
SteveR a écrit:
Hi Mike,
….
But the "bonus" is not a listed special ability - either on page 63 or on pages 17-20 under Special Abilities. So the "bonus" is not lost for that reason
…

I need to learn not to work from memory. Still I will be reunited with my rules when I get home in a couple of weeks. Maybe I should never travel without my precious.
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Lun Avr 04, 2022 4:01 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Your memory is just fine in that you got the right answer. Or at a minimum the same answer I got.

Funny you should say that - I am about to go on a trip and packing the rules now. Not so much the rules as the Army Lists - I go over them on the road.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Avr 04, 2022 6:29 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
page 22. Combat factors right column. Those get set to zero.
Note p 63 refers to this directly top of column.

P63 Receiving Charge on front
last sentence
...if the enemy is charging the unit on the flank or rear these do not apply.

Attached commander is not a combat factor or special ability etc

correct p 67 says wwg does not get set to zero
Black Prince
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Mar Avr 05, 2022 4:22 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
SteveR a écrit:
Funny you should say that - I am about to go on a trip and packing the rules now. Not so much the rules as the Army Lists - I go over them on the road.

On one business road trip, I packed some figures and paints in the car boot so I could do some painting in the hotel room at night.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: