Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Strategists and Initiative
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
kevinj
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Ven Aoû 13, 2021 10:49 am    Sujet du message: Strategists and Initiative Répondre en citant
There appears to be a change from V3 in the way that the initiative for an army including a Strategist is calculated. In V4 the Strategist has a command value of 3, so is this the value that should be used when calculating initiative. e.g. If I have a Strategist, 1 Competent and 1 Ordinary commander, is my base initiative (3+1+0)/2 = 2. +1 for the Strategist?

If this is correct the Spreadsheets in the Aids section need to be updated to reflect this.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Ven Aoû 13, 2021 12:39 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Compare v3 pages 21,22,66 with
V4 pages 24,25,73.
Strategist is still a brilliant commander plus strategists extras.
Only the commander quality table p24(v3 p21) has an extra line. This is contradictory to the following text p24 & 25.

My conclusion would be to delete this extra line in the table.

Otherwise strategist is three points of your army list command points. So no more Vercingetorix for list 89 Gallic? And pretty much all late Roman opponents strategists.
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Ven Aoû 13, 2021 1:19 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Dickstick a écrit:
My conclusion would be to delete this extra line in the table.

Agreed. How do we get this to the DT & the Errata?
MC_Delicatessen
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Ven Aoû 13, 2021 9:49 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
My take is that there is no change from V3.

The "Commander quality" table is confusing and and serves no purpose. Is there such a thing as commander quality in ADLG? It's mentioned again on p73 but why command quality? Makes no sense. It should be either command value, cost, initiative or CP.

Commander quality is not defined anywhere. Basically that section on p24 is a dog's dinner.
Command value hasn't changed since v3, it's still 2 for a strategist.

Strategist = brilliant = costs 2 command value in army list building
Strategist = +3 in CP calculation
Strategist = brilliant = 2 command value in initiative calculation and +1 to the die roll (to a max of +4)

I don't see any change, just a badly labelled table Smile
Longtooth
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Sam Aoû 14, 2021 6:00 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
For what it is worth, that is my view as well.

Jesse
kevinj
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Dim Aoû 15, 2021 8:52 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
My initial view was also that it hadn't changed, but the prescence of a new line for Commander value and removal of the specific example that exists in V3 made me question that when it was raised.

For clarity, my only query is regarding the value of a strategist when calculating initiative. The points regarding list building and CPs are clearly defined in the rules.
kevinj
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 09, 2021 11:26 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I've not seen an official resolution to this and it's now become relevant for an army list I'm checking for Warfare.

I'd be grateful if someone could clarify this.
Snowhitsky
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 09, 2021 6:28 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I am confused by your confusion! See p73.

As an example, an army with a Strategist, a brilliant and a competent general and 2LH

P73, bp1: total value of commanders/2 rounded down:  2(Strat) + 2 (brilliant) +1 (competent)/2= 2.5 rounded down to 2

(p25 second para defines a Strategist as a brilliant commander)

P73, bp2: +1 because C-in-C is a strategist. Total of 2+1=3

Pu73, bp3: +1 for 2 LH for a grand total of 3+1= 4 army initiative

So to answer your question a Strategist always adds 2 initiative to the army.
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 09, 2021 6:46 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
kevinj a écrit:
I've not seen an official resolution to this and it's now become relevant for an army list I'm checking for Warfare.

I'd be grateful if someone could clarify this.

MC is correct above. Strategist is +1 for being Brilliant and another +1 for being a Strategist. This is how the Army List spreadsheets on this site do the calculations.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 09, 2021 10:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Yup, the table on P24 is incorrect - the Strategist is +2 points.
I will pass this on.
kevinj
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 10, 2021 10:10 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thank you Ramses, the table is what raised the question.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 11, 2021 5:10 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
And the Official reply is that El Kreator sees things slightly differently :-
  1. The table on P24 is correct for the Strategist command value used when determining the command points available to his corps during the game.

2. P25 shows the correct calculations used when determining the army initiative at the start of the game - ie he counts as a brilliant commander, but then adds +1.

Also that this ‘initiative value’ is also used when building the army, so an army with a command value of +4 may have two Brilliant commanders, one of which may be a Strategist.
Basically it is all there in the text folks (as Snowhitsky pointed out).
Smile
ethan
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 11, 2021 5:30 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
kevinj a écrit:
There appears to be a change from V3 in the way that the initiative for an army including a Strategist is calculated. In V4 the Strategist has a command value of 3, so is this the value that should be used when calculating initiative. e.g. If I have a Strategist, 1 Competent and 1 Ordinary commander, is my base initiative (3+1+0)/2 = 2. +1 for the Strategist?

If this is correct the Spreadsheets in the Aids section need to be updated to reflect this.

It is worth noting that in this forum is a post from El Kreator noting the changes between V3 and V4. Nothing like this is listed in it...so it is probably in general better to assume that it hasn't changed and that readings of the rules consistent with "no change" are probably the correct ones.
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 11, 2021 9:38 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
El Kreator would have a point if p24 was talking about command points for a corp. But it isn't, in the English edition, it's all about Army command values.

The tables third line should read
Brilliant/strategist +2
And the forth line removed.

This then also makes p25 read with some sense.

In Anglo-Saxon it ballcocks to say +3 on one page is the same as +2 on the next page.

An unnecessary confusion difficult to defend.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: